Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass

Not really a discussion, it was a declaration and presented as fact!  Which seems odd, given he may recall posting the below in 2006, about the Lotus Esprit: "Point is, if you have something rare, and extremelly desirable and in perfect condition, you will get top $ for it, as people will pay for it.
I would certainly pay a huge premium for a perfect car over one less so. "
 We as owners have a responsibility for preserve resale value for such rare vehicles.

You have rose coloured glasses on. Your car is not rare or extremelly desirable - it's a standard Steven's car and carbed car at that. And every buyer will view it as a high mileage import, not as a perfect condition car.

If yours was an Aniversarry, Aust del, with very low kms and perfect history, then it would sell instantly for what you are asking for. But punters will see your car like just another high mileage, cheap, rusty UK import. That's the perception, and you have to come to terms with that.

Why don't you post some pics up of your car from all angles, exterior and interior, including the pedal well, the drivers seat bolster and undercarriage photos which clearly show the suspension and radiator areas. I am sure people, including myself want to see how fabulous it is.

Offline benjaminc

• Drives: November 1988 (89MY) Lotus Esprit Turbo
You have rose coloured glasses on. Your car is not rare or extremelly desirable - it's a standard Steven's car and carbed car at that. And every buyer will view it as a high mileage import, not as a perfect condition car.

If yours was an Aniversarry, Aust del, with very low kms and perfect history, then it would sell instantly for what you are asking for. But punters will see your car like just another high mileage, cheap, rusty UK import. That's the perception, and you have to come to terms with that.

Why don't you post some pics up of your car from all angles, exterior and interior, including the pedal well, the drivers seat bolster and undercarriage photos which clearly show the suspension and radiator areas. I am sure people, including myself want to see how fabulous it is.

More necessarily biting words Andecorp.... i truly meant you no disrespect, though you seem bent on painting the walls with your testosterone.  I will gladly provide pictures.  But rusty?  The chassis is galvanized for all markets, it would make no difference whether it were an export or local delivered car, Andre.  And 75,000km is hardly high mileage.    As i have seen from your posts in other forums both old and new, this is not the first time you have ignited tempers unnecessarily with your trite words.   It would seem illogical, for example, to say that any Esprit lacks rarity when Porsche makes 11,000 911s a year and Lotus made less than 11,000 Esprits in total (of which many thousands have been lost over the years).  I do not wish to get bogged down in semantics with you either way, you frankly lack manners and i find you boorish and unfriendly - re-read the thread and you will find that you initiated the tone of this conversation and I'm ashamed so far to have continued it.  I wish you the best. 

Offline andecorp

More necessarily biting words Andecorp.... i truly meant you no disrespect, though you seem bent on painting the walls with your testosterone.  I will gladly provide pictures.  But rusty?  The chassis is galvanized for all markets, it would make no difference whether it were an export or local delivered car, Andre.  And 75,000km is hardly high mileage.    As i have seen from your posts in other forums both old and new, this is not the first time you have ignited tempers unnecessarily with your trite words.   It would seem illogical, for example, to say that any Esprit lacks rarity when Porsche makes 11,000 911s a year and Lotus made less than 11,000 Esprits in total (of which many thousands have been lost over the years).  I do not wish to get bogged down in semantics with you either way, you frankly lack manners and i find you boorish and unfriendly - re-read the thread and you will find that you initiated the tone of this conversation and I'm ashamed so far to have continued it.  I wish you the best.

I said the perception that people have is that it would be a rusty UK import. I didn't say that it necessarily is. And I know the chassis can't rust, but everything else that hangs off it turns to dust in most UK cars. That's why I asked for pics.

75km is high mileage when you can get Aust del cars which are perfect with 30km. And your car is not a rare Esprit. Just like a 996 Carrera is not a rare Porsche, but it is rare when compared to Fords. So don't try useless arguments comparing Esprits to other makes.

I only state facts. Truth seems to hurt those that don't want to believe them.

Offline benjaminc

I said the perception that people have is that it would be a rusty UK import. I didn't say that it necessarily is. And I know the chassis can't rust, but everything else that hangs off it turns to dust in most UK cars. That's why I asked for pics.

75km is high mileage when you can get Aust del cars which are perfect with 30km. And your car is not a rare Esprit. Just like a 996 Carrera is not a rare Porsche, but it is rare when compared to Fords. So don't try useless arguments comparing Esprits to other makes.

I only state facts. Truth seems to hurt those that don't want to believe them.

This will go on endlessly and I pointedly feel no need to descend into further muck about this.  I shall post pictures tomorrow. 

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession

This will go on endlessly and I pointedly feel no need to descend into further muck about this.  I shall post pictures tomorrow.

Just start your own thread with all the sales links and pictures etc.

It is VERY important to point out that Aussie market cars have several different specs than the generally MUCH BETTER specced UK and Europe cars, but this is also NOT ALWAYS the case.

For me personally, I'd specifically seek out an imported Lotus, rather than an Aussie one, as the rust thing is really down to individual cars and not generic, and I prefer the spec of British cars.

having said that, if you ever see one of Andreis cars come up for grabs, you'd be insane not to buy it.

Andrei IS insane, and spends many times more than their value in keeping them PERFECT.

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

I'd like to see the pix when they are posted as well. Always good to peek at something interesting.

I own a Sport 350 and in a moment of weakness late last year looked at using it as a trade towards a Ferrari 612 that I had an interest in. The 350 is in very good nick, number 14 of 52ish made and it's the only one I'm aware of in Australia. I'd bought it from a guy who wanted it gone quickly post his PI'ing it for about 85K, and had put about 10K into refresher servicing, minor items (rubbers etc) renewal and had the thing off the road for 3 months to have the gearbox rebuilt by an expert post my ex-mechanic smashing second (long story, somewhere on this forum!)

The exotic dealer with the 612 offered 50K trade on the car - regardless of history, rarity, condition etc - I heard exactly the same things Andecorp has mentioned as well as a dozen massively ignorant statements about the car and it's history. Suffice to say I didn't end up doing the trade.

Take away what you like from the forum, but the better pre-warned you are when selling the better your outcome and expectations will be. Again, I'm sure most of us here wish you luck on the sale.

Offline andecorp

For me personally, I'd specifically seek out an imported Lotus, rather than an Aussie one, as the rust thing is really down to individual cars and not generic, and I prefer the spec of British cars.

99% of Aust del Esprits are UK spec.

Offline andecorp

The exotic dealer with the 612 offered 50K trade on the car - regardless of history, rarity, condition etc - I heard exactly the same things Andecorp has mentioned as well as a dozen massively ignorant statements about the car and it's history. Suffice to say I didn't end up doing the trade.

That is ignorance from the dealer. Obviously couldn't tell the difference between a S350 and a standard V8 and just factored in the import thing as well.
Your car is worth way more than what you paid for it, and a lot of genuine enthusiasts would snap it up if they knew it was for sale, especially considering its condition too.

When importing Esprits, I'd only bother with the S1 (obvious reasons), Essex, S350 and the last batch of 2004 V8's. Everything else is available as Aust del and plenty of examples of each in mint condition.

Offline benjaminc

I'd like to see the pix when they are posted as well. Always good to peek at something interesting.

I own a Sport 350 and in a moment of weakness late last year looked at using it as a trade towards a Ferrari 612 that I had an interest in. The 350 is in very good nick, number 14 of 52ish made and it's the only one I'm aware of in Australia. I'd bought it from a guy who wanted it gone quickly post his PI'ing it for about 85K, and had put about 10K into refresher servicing, minor items (rubbers etc) renewal and had the thing off the road for 3 months to have the gearbox rebuilt by an expert post my ex-mechanic smashing second (long story, somewhere on this forum!)

Take away what you like from the forum, but the better pre-warned you are when selling the better your outcome and expectations will be. Again, I'm sure most of us here wish you luck on the sale.

oh ouch.  thats gotta hurt!  mechanic fail.  is their any good mechanics in sydney that work on esprits?  i paid to have this serviced in the uk before it came over, big C service but i will need to find a mechanic soon.  all i keep hearing it Simply Sports cars in Artarmon because they only do Lotus.  But they seem to only know Elises!  Still, it seems to be as close as i will get... 

Im so jealous you have a 350 sport.  im only selling mine because i want to nab the 300 sport, even though its been crashed.  Its been repaired very well! (by your mechanic no less, Andrei!).

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

99% of Aust del Esprits are UK spec.

FF must have thought he was living in the USA there for a minute.......