Offline chris043

Posted on general forum in error (newbie).

I have just bought this car and it appears to be in good nick and completely standard.  I only know what I have read and researched on these cars so would appreciate some advice.

Apparently stock power is 115kw and 198nm torque and I was thinking of minor mods such as boost controller or chip to lift power to around 140kw.

Has anyone done this and do you need to upgrade brakes and other components and what approx. cost are we looking at?

Perhaps I am better off leaving it standard so as not to risk stress on the engine?

I am an older enthusiast and do not intend doing any track work, just want to join a Lotus club and enjoy the car on outings etc.

These cars now appear to be a classic as the resale value on Redbook has been around $24,000 for the past 2 years?

I have had other sports cars such as MR2 and MX5 and would appreciate any advice you can give.   Thanks...

Offline cjay

Hi Chris

I have had a few Elan's :)

The chip is a great idea, I put one in my first Elan. They are cheap easy to fit and do a great job. The engine in M100's is bomb proof and there is no problem fitting them. I got mine at Donington a few years back and it was only 100. Lotus Elan Central has all the info you need  http://www.lotuselancentral.com

The original brakes are hopeless, almost dangerous. Most people in the UK fit Wilwood brakes, they make a big difference :) They are a bit over $1K for the parts to do the front.

Is yours  an SE or an S2?

PM me if you want to know anything :)

Offline BigD

I am an older enthusiast and do not intend doing any track work, just want to join a Lotus club and enjoy the car on outings etc.

Chris043, which state are you based in?

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Hi Chris

I have had a few Elan's :)

The chip is a great idea, I put one in my first Elan. They are cheap easy to fit and do a great job. The engine in M100's is bomb proof and there is no problem fitting them. I got mine at Donington a few years back and it was only 100. Lotus Elan Central has all the info you need  http://www.lotuselancentral.com

The original brakes are hopeless, almost dangerous. Most people in the UK fit Wilwood brakes, they make a big difference :) They are a bit over $1K for the parts to do the front.

Is yours  an SE or an S2?

PM me if you want to know anything :)

The Wilwood kit works ok in these???

I have heard they are not much chop - well the Esprit kits at least......

Offline cjay

I have driven two with Wilwood's and they are OK, not brilliant but much better than the standard bakes :)

Offline chris043

Chris043, which state are you based in?

Thanks for reply...I am in NSW  and have club details.  Will join at some stage.  Cheers...