Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
Not feeling the front.
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/49848/2011-lotus-elise-update-revealed-in-geneva-lead-up

LOTUS HAS PULLED the covers from its latest work, revealing the updated-for-2011 Lotus Elise ahead of its unveiling at the Geneva Motor Show next month.

Among the updated Elise's more obvious changes is a less complicated front bumper, along with restyled headlights that take a leaf out of the Evora's book.

"The Elise is an iconic sports car and it was important that we did not complicate its design, so we made the car more pure in its look, improved the aerodynamics, and gave it a more contemporary look with high quality detailing," Donato Coco, Lotus' design boss said.

Also borrowed from the 2010 Lotus Evora are the redesigned bonnet vents, along with a tweaked engine cover and rear bumper.

The 2011 Elise isn't merely about refreshing the popular (but ageing) sports car's looks, however, with the updates leading to a drag coefficient four percent greater than the pre-facelift model.

Improvements continue all the way round, with new optional forged alloy wheels weighing just 30kg a piece - 2kg lighter than the standard cast alloy wheels.

"The Lotus Elise revolutionized the sports car when it was launched 14 years ago and for this year the Lotus Elise has become greener, giving drivers access to class leading performance with less guilt," Dany Bahar, CEO of Group Lotus said.

The Elise's engine line-up carries over largely unchanged, the Toyota-sourced 2ZZ-GE offering 141kW and 181Nm torque, or 163kW and 211Nm in supercharged guise.

A new 100kW 1ZR-FAE 1.6 litre petrol engine will kick off the 2011 Elise line-up, although its availability in Australia has yet to be confirmed.

All Elise models are now fitted with the C64 six-speed manual transmission, also sourced from Toyota but modified for Lotus use.

The Motor Report is awaiting confirmation on Australian availability. Watch this space.

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
wow, great move

take a car thats already 15 years old.

make it uglier
put a smaller engine in it

a recipe for success  :scared:

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
wow, great move

make it uglier

:thumbsup:

Lovely car and avatar mate. Well done.
C'mon, do it!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Looks girlier somehow - would love to date someone with one.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

wow, great move

make it uglier

Exactly - a replacement can't be far away I guess.

Offline looney

Exactly - a replacement can't be far away I guess.

haha, for some reason i doubt it, i think they will likely try to get another 5-10 years out of this.

and they'll give release many new "special" editions which are a coat of paint and different interior trim. its really sad that such a promising company cant give us more.

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
I dont like it either

I think a replacement or at least an end to all current exige/elise/europa chassis models is very near, because Lotus told Tesla they cant supply them anymore Chassis's's's (how do you spell that?)

Perhaps they will put that line of cars on the shelf for a couple of years, get the esprit happening, upgrade the evora

I think that would be a silly move though, as they need a cheap car in their lineup just to generate some revenue, even if its not making any real money, plus the F1 buzz might have some flow on sales

Looney hates all things Lotus if I recall!  :)

Offline looney

I dont like it either

Looney hates all things Lotus if I recall!  :)

not at all, I love Lotus' I just feel really sad seeing how the company is going, they have so much potential.

I hate the thought that elises are just going to become part of the ricer crowd (in the US they will anyway) when you will see people going late night stret racing against civics and skylines with fibreglass body kits and neon lights.

don't get me wrong I like ricer cars, they're  fun in their own right, but im sad to think that Lotus' will ed up there to. I mean how cheap can you get one in the us now? 30K