Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
Was at the local Lotus Dealer on Saturday trying out the New Europa - they had a nice little Exige there as well.  Anyway the guy mentioned that some time back a guy dropped in his Esprit to get a service done and would be back in a week to collect...

3 months later - still there - just sitting in the back lot, covered but neglected and lonely.  A  lovely rare Pacific Blue 89 Esprit.  Personaly imported back in 91, so didn't have too much travel on the salt encrusted roads of England.  Still with VIC plates. 

Supposed owner did not leave any valid contact numbers or address.  I offered 5 bucks to no avail.

Wonder what the legalities are for dumping cars at a dealer ?
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline dkabab

well i have heard of people getting their car serviced or modified and then not being able to pay the shop, so the owner could sell the car to recoup money owed.... not sure about the finer details...

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

I drove a Yellow Elise out there back last February and that car was there then.

Offline app

sounds a bit fishy

who would leave a car like that in good nick at a dealer leaving no numbers or anything??

maybe call the cops see what they can do in terms of looking up the rego details and contacting the registered owner.

Offline 98octane

well i have heard of people getting their car serviced or modified and then not being able to pay the shop, so the owner could sell the car to recoup money owed.... not sure about the finer details...

I think it's called a mechanic's lien - a old English legal concept which says something like the mechanic can keep your car until you pay, or can sell it to recoup the money he is owed (mechanic must give the owner the difference).

Offline dkabab

I think it's called a mechanic's lien - a old English legal concept which says something like the mechanic can keep your car until you pay, or can sell it to recoup the money he is owed (mechanic must give the owner the difference).

surely theres a time frame the mechanic has to hold the difference until it becomes theirs...

Offline rallygraphix

who would leave a car like that in good nick at a dealer leaving no numbers or anything??

Someone who died  :faint:  Mates car place had this happen once, took about 6 months before someone went looking for the missing car.. Weird stuff indeed.

Offline app

Someone who died  :faint:  Mates car place had this happen once, took about 6 months before someone went looking for the missing car.. Weird stuff indeed.

yeah i realise something could've happened to the owner, but leaving invalid numbers for a lotus esprit??

Offline SiFi

• Navigator/Serial Killer

In SA it'll likely come within the realm of the Unclaimed Goods Act. In a tiny nutshell, the dealer will have to hang onto it for three months, then can apply to the court (if the car is worth more than $500) to sell the car. So keep your eyes peeled on the Public Notices, as if the owner is incommunicado, details have to be published describing the details and how the item will be disposed of (usually public auction) and where the owner can pick the item up from.

Probably best do a VicRoads REVS check too, just incase it is under finance. The purchaser gets clear title to the car on purchase if they are unaware of any mortgage, charge or lien against the property. But you really wouldn't want to push your luck by saying you knew nuthink.......

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Damn, so that's where I left it!!! I really must be more carefully where I leave stuff.

Could you go around and pick it up for me please?!?!?

Only problem is I just can't seem to remember the VIN or any other details about the Esprit.
Do you think I can claim Amnesia???? (or just mental case)   :D