Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
This thread is exactly why retail in Australia is being decimated. Internet sales are huge and growing every day and it's not an even playing field. OS players are getting a GST free kick below $1000 (and above as per this thread).  Our retailers pay higher labour and operating costs and higher taxes than most OS operators and as a result can't compete with the prices.

Who cares ? All good and well until you realise that retail is the biggest employer In Australia. It gets worse as the effects flow beyond the retailers. Seen how many vacant shops there are in many traditional shopping strips? The tenant mix changes in the strips as the retail stores go broke. You end up with a strip of take away shops, cafes and real estate agencies etc. What happens when you need something urgently, or want some advice? All of a sudden you miss those bricks and mortar stores. I buy online like everyone else; but I always try and give the retail store a shot at the sale. If they are reasonably close I'll support the locals every time.

Not sure what the solution is to all this; but it's not going to go away and ultimately there is a price to pay for killing our retail sector.

Interesting post - and one that a lot of people are coming to grips with. As background, my company (Uber) builds websites and online store / eCommerce solutions - as well as communities for companies and brands.

Every day, we see new customers - large and small - who are struggling with the same challenge, however there are things common to almost every project are that retailers can:

1. offer better service - in many cases they're being beaten out by websites that offer better information, more informative reviews, a wider range and better warranty terms

2. do more to reward customer loyalty - smiling when someone comes across the threshold is one thing, but knowing their purchase history, their preferences and likely products they'd enjoy adds value. Following up post purchase to make sure everything is ok, to ask for a review and to offer future benefits/discounts is becoming a service standard

3. be vastly more consistent - every employee should be a champion for the brand, the products and the customer. A disengaged salesperson kills the customer relationship. Customers want to know they are getting a fair price, that warranty terms are in place, that they can return if they are not happy and that the store will be glad to see them back regardless

So - what does a retailer do? In the list above there's nothing that retailers shouldn't have been able to do better than internet startups. In many cases they lag because of inertia and a lack of really trying to change - and these businesses will go to the wall. The solution we are seeing work time and time again isn't actually that hard - to summarise it is:

1. Replicate the best services from your web competitors
2. Partner with online competitors if you can't create your own capacity
3. Revenue share for each customer you bring onto a new platform
4. Put the customer first - if you don't stock a product instore - then train your salesguys to jump on the web WITH them and to show them options and push the order. You get a slice of the sale and the customer sees you'll do anything to help them.

In my experience, we're seeing a rapid takeup of 'instore/online' where customers can still have the 'tactile' shopping experience, but if needed the store can also fulfil their order online (which can mean drop shipping from overseas to price compete).

^ Longer post than I'd intended, but I love this stuff  :)
C'mon, do it!

Offline bunny_au

I buy quite a bit of stuff for my Elise OS but I have found some avenues here in OZ. OK I have a K series but look at the MGF deallers and the freelander guys a lot of your common consumeables can be got there. Aloso your brakes the fronts are the rears from an evo. THe rears I can't rmember off the top but a number of the repco/autobarn/supercheap etc will  stock them.

But the pet part of this discussion has been the os vs local if it's twice the price I'll do it hear but give the bearing guys etc a chance. I just delt with some guys in QLD on the phone they sources good Jap bearings for my hubs at just a little more than the UK 20pound buy it now with out shiping. Any how my point is home work is key to save mony and time.

The killer in OZ is the monoply importers the OZ gov is the problem they sell import quotas to the highest bidder they controll the price. I was speaking to a toyota spares guy and he was telling he doesn't make much on euro cars parts cause the importers make it all he gave me an example my wife has a vw . She lost the key they quotes $400 to replace comes out of Vw singapore at that price. Check the singapore market same issue . ok bought the whole thing shipped no program to OZ from UK $78 all up got some loti fobs that way as well just in case . The guys program here the sing didn't include programming that was anothe $100.

Oh they cut the key as well from the picture of the key.

One tried with my wife in the rag trade out of Indo her family had a factory the importer wanted $5 per item guess what a pair of baby sox is two items. Guess what we didn't go ahead realised wrong part of the game.

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
Zagame once quoted me $53k for parts.

I bought them straight from the factory OS for $12k and got them here in 3 days while Zagame quoted 4 weeks.
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline Dave_A

I bought them straight from the factory OS for $12k and got them here in 3 days while Zagame quoted 4 weeks.

WHOAH :eek:

We call it the Australia tax.
Though for every person like yourself who's done the smart thing,I'm sure there are 10 others who have bent over and just accepted it,hence why the do it and will continue doing it.

Offline RMV

• A Country Member

You mean the same Zagame Lotus which fitted a thirdhand, thrice repainted, damaged, pre-2006 hardtop to my car in 2010 in place of the brand new OEM hardtop I ordered when I bought my car?

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
Going off topic here - thanks to Mr Uber.  But as mentioned this is where the money is to be made in the coming decade here in Oz.  I reckon we're a good 10 years behind the rest of the world with regard to online shopping.  Living in London for half a life time, the locals there somehow realised that people don't like travelling and would prefer to shop online and get the exact item they're after delivered to their front door for far less than driving and searching for crap they didn't want.  Nowadays I can buy products from the UK get them shippped over to Oz cheaper than buying in the shops here - how is that possible.  Retailers here are not very smart. 

I made an online shopping website for my mother in law and now over 50% of her sales are via the website, with 20% international.  Also made a website for the old man who ran an industrial rubber business for over 50 years.  pretty much overnght we had an increase in sales by 5%.   It's not that hard.

If the likes of harvey Norman could set up an off shore on-line shopping site (like they do in the UK to avoid VAT) for their small electronics, cameras etc, it would be a win win for everyone.

Back to the topic at hand.  I always find it cheaper to buy the Lotus stock from the known dealers in Europe / UK.  It's quick, efficient and they know what they're talking about.

... Although I have bought specific parts from TheElanFactory in Victoria - good service there.
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline dkabab

If the likes of harvey Norman could set up an off shore on-line shopping site (like they do in the UK to avoid VAT) for their small electronics, cameras etc, it would be a win win for everyone.

Who is everyone? The likes of Harvey Norman employ tens of thousands of people around the country. Me included.
Wouldn't be win win for me...

I agree with the fact that online will be the way of the future, but people will always want to walk into a shop and buy something then and there. I have people every day thank me for showing them something that suits their needs better than whatever they had researched for themselves on the net.

Offline Joel

Who is everyone? The likes of Harvey Norman employ tens of thousands of people around the country. Me included.

I agree with the fact that online will be the way of the future, but people will always want to walk into a shop and buy something then and there. I have people every day thank me for showing them something that suits their needs better than whatever they had researched for themselves on the net.

I agree on both parts. I have an online store and also supply to these major retailers. I think what he was trying to say is HN would generate larger profit and the end customer would end up with a decent saving without leaving the house.
You do lose that customer interaction you speak of Dave but like everything companies will move forward to whatever is going to make them the most money.

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

was in Gerry's store yesterday buying a bar fridge and a portable DVD player.
DVD player was $149 reduced to $69. Would that be cost price kebab?

Offline dkabab

was in Gerry's store yesterday buying a bar fridge and a portable DVD player.
DVD player was $149 reduced to $69. Would that be cost price kebab?

I don't sell that stuff so not sure, but more than likely its at cost or below.
DVD players aren't exactly the latest tech so more than likely are pretty cheap I would assume.