Offline app

You agree to hand over the car when his money is in your account.  You don't need to meet him.

Re reg -  it's on the back of your reg form.

I'm curious why the purchaser wouldn't want to meet the seller before they buy the car? I would've thought they'd at least want get a 'feeling' about the car or it's history, or even the owner?

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Deposit by EFT and final payment by EFT with confirmed monies in your account before you release the car.

Cash is reliable - but you dont know the nature of the person doing the deal - too many shifty characters these days.

when I bought my lexus a few years back I wanted to pay a large portion in cash -  that was a no go, they wanted confirmed EFT in their account or cleared bank or personal cheque.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I'm curious why the purchaser wouldn't want to meet the seller before they buy the car? I would've thought they'd at least want get a 'feeling' about the car or it's history, or even the owner?

I got one offer from a buyer on an oil rig. I called him a scammer - didn't hear from him again.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

I got one offer from a buyer on an oil rig. I called him a scammer - didn't hear from him again.

He probably would have had the cash though. :doh:

Offline ACP

• Lives in a Metro Tangerine

• Drives: McLaren
I sold my Lotus Exige interstate last year. Guy flew up to look at it. We agreed a price a few days later. He paid a deposit. I took the car off the market. We signed an agreement. He transferred the balance into my account. Flew up and drove the car back.

Pretty easy. When all the money is in your account, sign the transfer papers on the back of your rego and hand the keys over.

Always ask for a decent deposit and tell them you'll take the car off the market, that way you be able to tell if they're serious.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Offline mtarone

A few years ago I sold a Subaru Liberty GT to a guy in Perth. He never came to look at it, just wanted lots of photos and called Eblens to talk to them about its service history etc.

When it came time to pay we agreed that the car would go to Toll transport where there used to be an escrow yard, I could put the car in there give them to keys and they would let him know that. He then EFT'd the money to me. This way it was safe for both the buyer and the seller. Once the funds cleared I told Toll it was safe to stick it on a train and send it to him.

I'm not sure if they still do that, but this might be useful?

Offline ACP

• Lives in a Metro Tangerine

• Drives: McLaren

Offline app

Bank cheque.

I read some time ago even this is not as safe as you would like to think.

IIRC they can be fraudulent and as mentioned above they can be cancelled. I believe the article mentioned something along the lines of the seller takes the cheque with the belief it's guaranteed as it's coming from the purchaser's bank and the money will go in the account no matter what, but apparently it still takes 1 or 2 days for the funds to effectively go into the account, giving a window of opportunity for something to go wrong.