Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
I read some time ago even this is not as safe as you would like to think.

IIRC they can be fraudulent and as mentioned above they can be cancelled. I believe the article mentioned something along the lines of the seller takes the cheque with the belief it's guaranteed as it's coming from the purchaser's bank and the money will go in the account no matter what, but apparently it still takes 1 or 2 days for the funds to effectively go into the account, giving a window of opportunity for something to go wrong.

Exactly - bank cheques can be cancelled and then if car has left, u have no money, no car!

EFT with evidence it has hit ur account is probably the best way

or if it's financed, get him to pay to your finance company and get confirmation from them that $$ have cleared.
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
good discussion!
and free promotion for my sale, since the guy hasnt responded to my revised offer price which was just barely higher than his initial offer

Offline blackr35

Why would you ever accept a cheque when we have EFT? Cheques should be banned.

Offline M500

I read some time ago even this is not as safe as you would like to think.

IIRC they can be fraudulent and as mentioned above they can be cancelled. I believe the article mentioned something along the lines of the seller takes the cheque with the belief it's guaranteed as it's coming from the purchaser's bank and the money will go in the account no matter what, but apparently it still takes 1 or 2 days for the funds to effectively go into the account, giving a window of opportunity for something to go wrong.

From my understanding, actual bank cheques are guaranteed by the issuing bank. However, "bank cheques" issued by credit unions, etc are not actually "bank cheques" at all. They are the same as any other business cheque and can be cancelled, etc with no guarantee. This is because the credit unions, etc are actually clients of the issuing bank and use their cheque service as any other client does.

I know this as I sold a computer (back when secondhand computers were worth something) to a fellow who responded to my Trading Post ad. He brought me an AGC "Bank Cheque" which was one of a book that he had stolen and dudded many people around Australia with (including some poor bugger in QLD for a Porsche). When the cheque bounced, I called AGC and their line was that the cheque is/ was theirs but it is issued by NAB on their behalf as their client and therefore there is no guarantee as it was a stolen cheque.

Always beware with any cheques as there can be issues for the uninitiated. As they say, "money talk, bullshit runs the marathon".

Offline futurism

I have just been informed
on carpoint my car doesnt even show up when just searching for 'lotus'
it says 54 results
I counted, theres only 48 shown, mines one of the missing 6.

apparently its been like this for a while

So I just updated my ad to see if that puts it back on the list, but its not one of the oldest updates on carsales

generally I prefer to search on carpoint rather than carsales as I find the interface cleaner

Offline TomE

I have just been informed
on carpoint my car doesnt even show up when just searching for 'lotus'

Shows up on a "lotus" + "SA" search.
"There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam... "

Offline futurism

yeah, its now showing up just for lotus too
updating the ad got it back on the site
strange though to me at least, that the count says 54, and now there are 45 showing

also I just updated my ad 45 minutes ago, and its showing halfway down page 2 when sorting by last updated
those above me are not premium ads, yet they are showing higher, I doubt they all updated their ads since I did

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Make a change to your ad every week to keep it up the top of the list.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Bit harsh PA or is that you mhh :tilt:
That would be one way or just put two spaces between sentences and then click update. Either ay your ad keeps on top of the pile.