Offline Mattthecat

Hey guys, first post here.

Im a Brit in WA, and im looking to purchase an Esprit. Having trouble swallowing what they seemed to be priced at over here lol.

So far I have tracked down and tested out 2. First was a mint 88' turbo, with original 20,000miles. Car was very nice, interior was a little faded but nothing major. Engine and body were A1. Priced at 35k, seemed a little high - not too much though. After a test drive - I went away did the sums on insurance ect and found it to be cheap. So made an offer just under asking price, only to find it had sold, was only on the market for 2 weeks.

Then next week I took out an S4 96'. Guy was asking 41k. So i went along thinking this is gonna be great. Car was rough as, Needed a full respray imo. 120k on the clock, interior was wrecked. and to my major surprise, it was slow. The 88 was so much quicker, I seriously doubt the S4 would make 0-100 in the low 7s let alone 4.5. 

From an asthetic point of view, i really fancy a late 80s early 90s car in red. Ideally I would like to pay around 30-32 for a car that has a rebuilt of super low miles engine. Basically the first car I looked at. Feeling bummed that i missed out. Am i dreaming? the kind of car i want fetches at most 15k in the uk. Not sure I can handle the hassle of importing one. Any experience, advice welcome. Cheers, Matt.

Offline Tiger

Your not in the UK now cars cost more in OZ.
Roll on summer

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
The so called '96 S4 is actually a 93 S4 - First ones off the production line. They were imported into Australia that way after been stored for a couple of years in containers in Asia . I'd say the check engine light had been disabled (due to 'Issues'), thus there was no engine power. A top of the range S4 could possibly go for around 50-55k, possibly even more, as they are more sought after than the early V8's.  $35k for the '88 was a good price and as such quality Esprits will only last a couple of weeks on the market.
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline Mattthecat

Hey Simon, thanks for the insight.

I figured the 88 was a bargain as soon as I saw the state of the s4. However logic told me not to jump at the first one I drove, plus 35k was just a bit over my allotted budget. Oh well  you live and learn. Im really only interested in the 2.2 turbos. I have never driven the NA, and maybe i am writing it off too early but I figure that by today's standards, the performance would be lacking somewhat. Guess ill just have to keep an eye out.

Online looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
good to know about that black S4,

I keep seeing it online thinking "what if" but good to know its a pig.

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
Took me 3 years to find mine in the UK. I ended up driving from london to paignton (800km round trip).
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
My first Esprit is for sale right now. The white NA in WA. I last saw it in 1999 with 66km. It now has 78k. So it's only done 12km in 15 years?? Yet, look how worn the top of the seat bolster and the carpets are. It was absolutely mint when I had it. And I sold it with a new clutch, so he had to replace the clutch again during the 12km ownership??
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
My first Esprit is for sale right now. The white NA in WA. I last saw it in 1999 with 66km. It now has 78k. So it's only done 12km in 15 years?? Yet, look how worn the top of the seat bolster and the carpets are. It was absolutely mint when I had it. And I sold it with a new clutch, so he had to replace the clutch again during the 12km ownership??

It comes with a free mp3 of Fleetwood Mac - Tell Me Sweet Little Lies

Offline Mattthecat

Owner must have parked it in a field for 15 years, only taking it out to do burnouts.

I have my eye on one in Coffs Harbour. looks pretty good in photos. bit pricey, but with the cosmetic work - perhaps not such a bad price. Have you guys seen the one with a bodykit, massive black rims and a bonnet vents? Bonnets vents??? such a shame.

Offline Mattthecat

Here its this one.

http://www.quicksales.com.au/ad/1989-lotus-esprit-s5-s5/itemid-710798451

Anybody know this car, it's a bit molested, but not irreversibly so. spoke to seller and he will take a fair amount less for the car than it's listed for.

Here a question...
is 113k too many km for an esprit?

Makes me nervous considering the last one i drove had a shade more and seemed pretty much done.