Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
Just posted this on an Esprit forum, but hopefully it might be useful here too...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

After lots of reading, I could see that replacing the airbag wheel with the Lotus Momo has been done quite often...

Now what about replacing the "common" Momo with something a little racier from the Momo range?

I was brave/silly enough to take on the challenge for this special member of the uber.biz fleet.

The problem of course is that Lotus have a custom 4 hole hub instead of the standard Momo 6 hole... so a bit of machining and drilling is required.

My solution has the added bonus of moving the wheel a bit higher to give taller drivers (ie. me!) a bit more thigh room.

Step 1: Take one "eccentric hub" that Momo produce (apparently they're readily available, but I'd never seen one before). It's apparently popular with Porsches to reposition the wheel a bit, but I was confident it would suit this application as well.

Step 2: Machine that locator lip off the back. This would normally sit neatly inside an existing Momo hub, but of course the Lotus one is a different diameter, so this has gotta go.

Step 3: The top and bottom holes in the standard Momo hex layout don't even match the top/bottom in the Lotus hub. They're out by about 1.5mm. So the top/bottom holes in the eccentric hub need to be slotted slightly, taking care to maintain the countersinking so the screws will still sit flush.

Step 4: Drill 2 new holes (left/right or 3/9 o'clock) in the eccentric hub. These 2 new holes will be very close to 2 of the existing hex pattern holes that the wheel will screw into, so be very careful to get these EXACTLY right. You will need longer screws for these 2 new holes - just match the thread and get something countersunk so the heads sit flush.

Step 5 (optional): I've made sure all external surfaces are black, just because I'm that fussy. But really there's not much of the raw aluminium visible once the wheel is fitted, so this is optional.

Step 6: Screw it all together.

There's likely to be a bit of messing around with the wiring for the horn due to the eccentric hub changing the hollow space behind the centre, but this will depend on what wheel you choose from the Momo range.

Hope this helps someone, sometime into the future...

Offline dkabab

you forgot the most important part.... this all must be done in a light box :thumbsup:

great work though!

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

Offline dkabab

Offline allanuber

He's bonded with the vehicle. If Bana was here he'd do the Beast II about Flamey.
C'mon, do it!

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Bastard - having fun?!?!?!?!

Image - I want to go for a drive in my Lotus -  :waah:

Offline allanuber