Offline Elise

Hi,

im looking to buy a series 2 lotus elise .. im just wondering does anyone know the differences between models?
i.e kerb weight, engine and other differences?
apparently in wikipedia they say there is

2.1 111s
    2.2 111R / Federal Elise
    2.3 2008 models
    2.4 2011 models

is there any other models, they missed?also what are the differeces between these models

i live in australia, if that helps

thanks

Offline ACP

• Lives in a Metro Tangerine

• Drives: McLaren
Hi,

im looking to buy a series 2 lotus elise .. im just wondering does anyone know the differences between models?
i.e weight, engine and other differences?
apparently in wikipedia they say there is

2.1 111s
    2.2 111R / Federal Elise
    2.3 2008 models
    2.4 2011 models

is there any other models, they missed?also what are the differeces between these models

i live in australia, if that helps

thanks

The 111S is the 160bhp Rover engine. The 111R is the Toyota powered 190 bhp which also went to the US hence with word federal. In 2008 Lotus supercharged the 111R engine giving it 220bhp in the Elise. In 2011 they revised the shape and introduced a new entry 1.6 litre model.

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
you have the following

Early S2 = long canvas top and 89kw rover engine and no air con
2002-3 = as above but with a short roof & air con option 89kw car, + 111s which had 116kw
2004 = 89kw car as in 02-03 + Toyota engined car 141kw
late 2006 = new toyota engined car with circa 90kw  Elise S +  141kw model also Elise R

after that i think it was basically the same until they added the newer 1.6 litre model.

I hope that helps

Offline Elise

thanks for the info guys..

um just wondering, there seems to be 2 different
lotus Elise S for 2006

the one with the 1ZZ-FE toyota engine has
100kw and 172nm Torque and is $69,990 brand new

the one with the K series engine has
89kw and 168nm torque and is $79, 990 brand new

just wondering is the k series a better engine
than the toyota engine?

i would think that the engine with more
power should be better/ more expensive?

but this doesnt seem like the case with
the 2006 lotus elise S

reference below:

http://www.redbook.com.au/cars/research/used/details/2006-lotus-elise-s-manual-my04/SPOT-ITM-245879

http://www.redbook.com.au/cars/research/used/details/2006-lotus-elise-s-manual-my07/SPOT-ITM-245883

Offline ACP

• Lives in a Metro Tangerine

• Drives: McLaren
I doubt you'll find a 111S k-series for sale. You want a 111R with the 141kW engine or the supercharged version if you can stretch that far.

Offline Elise

I was talking about "Lotus Elise S" not the "Lotus Elise 111S"

Also i prefer the Lotus Elise S over the lotus elise 111R because it has a lighter kerb weight - 710kg vs 860kg

because i plan to do a honda motor swap when the engine dies

also i prefer the Elise S over the elise base model because it has central locking and leather seats and fog lights

Offline looney

having had both the K series and 100kw (sorry i wrote 90kw above, i was working off a very stretched memory these days).

there is little difference in them in terms of driving feel, the extra power of the toyota engine probably offset the weight because the later car had aircon airbags etc.

all in all i'd say a 2006 elise S is a far more resolved car than the earlier one as it has a revised dash, the basic toyota motor is a good all rounder and bulletproof etc.  I was never a fan of the 141kw motor, it's no fun ringing the engines neck to 8k rpm when it just felt like you were stressing the engine the whole time. My Porsche GT3 revved to 8k rpm and would sing, and the car would be like a bull at a gate wanting to do it, but in the Elise i find the motor just felt like you were thrashing it.

as mentioned above, if you could stretch the SC would be the best choice, but given that you're looking at a N/A elise the 06 S is more resolved than early cars, but they're all great fun to drive and will all provide you an equal sized grin :D

Offline Elise

no worries, we all make mistakes..

anyways just wondering how does the K series 89kw engine compare to the 100kw toyota engine in terms of reliability?

also do you know why the kerb weight of the Kseries 89kw elise S and the Elise S with toyota 100kw is  different by 150kg?

Offline looney

no worries, we all make mistakes..

anyways just wondering how does the K series 89kw engine compare to the 100kw toyota engine in terms of reliability?

also do you know why the kerb weight of the Kseries 89kw elise S and the Elise S with toyota 100kw is  different by 150kg?

to be honest I had less troubles with my Rover engined car, but that said, the problems with the Toyota engine were nothing major and it never left me stranded or anything like that.   The toyota engine would regularly stall on cold start, a couple of times went into limp home mode and the occasional check engine light. apparently it was because the parameters they had set up the ECU with were based on countries other than australia, so it could not handle our heat or humidity. They flew a guy out from the UK to evaluate my car, and I presume rolled out a model wide ECU update to rectify it.

kerb weight, Google will be your friend, Its been a long time since I was in the Lotus game. I think the early S2 i had (sans aircon etc) was circa 695kg or 715kg, and the toyota engined car was somewhere around 900kg.  as i say Google is probably going to be significantly more accurate. but my guess as to why would be down to aircon, airbags x2, more complicated dashboard, the engine (the K series is very light, that's actually why it was initially chosen), braking system, and then once the car is heavier, other components will need to be heavier to carry the extra load etc.