Offline westyexotic

All,
 Unsure if this is unrelated or coincedance..

3 weeks ago went to move the car and the battery was dead. Went down and bought a Ctek Charger to maintain the battery.

Saturday I took it for a run and whilst not running rough or missing it was slow as buggery (V6 commadore pulled away from me).

Turned the car off, then restarted and I had the Check Engine Light come on. Could smell the unburnt fuel so guessing it has dropped a cylinder.

A little bit of reasearch shows that this may happen occasionally, fixed by new leads / plugs and maybe Ignitor.

Question is do you think any damage could be caused from running it for 20km like this to get home? I was going to tow it but it was not running hot nor rough.

Anything else that could be the cause?

Still making boost etc. Just no power.

Ben

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

All,
 Unsure if this is unrelated or coincedance..

3 weeks ago went to move the car and the battery was dead. Went down and bought a Ctek Charger to maintain the battery.

Saturday I took it for a run and whilst not running rough or missing it was slow as buggery (V6 commadore pulled away from me).

Turned the car off, then restarted and I had the Check Engine Light come on. Could smell the unburnt fuel so guessing it has dropped a cylinder.

A little bit of reasearch shows that this may happen occasionally, fixed by new leads / plugs and maybe Ignitor.

Question is do you think any damage could be caused from running it for 20km like this to get home? I was going to tow it but it was not running hot nor rough.

Anything else that could be the cause?

Still making boost etc. Just no power.

Ben
Suggest its a spark plug as you have said ,try the last plug to the fire wall thats the 1st plug to wet or oil up in my experience or perhaps just a crook plug and work from there.

Have you found out what cylinder? best way pull leads off one at a time and place back on till you find the cylinder.

Damage would doubt it as the piston will just be floating.in the chamber.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Hi Ben,

if the old girl wasn't making power then she was in Limp mode.

The Esprit does this to protect itself when a fault occurs. Also if the engine light is up, it will have thrown up fault codes. You need to find out what those codes are first......

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

How dead was the battery?????

It's never good to let the battery get down in any cars but in an Esprit it is very bad.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

You will find that even though she was making boost, in wouldn't have been full boost.

You will need an OBD2 Scanner to plug into the car to find out what fault codes are up. It should also be able to tell you what else is going on so you don't need to guess.......

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
Hi Ben,

if the old girl wasn't making power then she was in Limp mode.

The Esprit does this to protect itself when a fault occurs. Also if the engine light is up, it will have thrown up fault codes. You need to find out what those codes are first......
This.
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline westyexotic

How dead was the battery?????

It's never good to let the battery get down in any cars but in an Esprit it is very bad.

Battery was dead flat. Car hadnt been driven for about 5 weeks. Had to be jump started. Then new charger installed to stop it from happening again.

I now connect charger half a day day per week.

Thanks for the responses. I will leave for the mechanic to sort out. Was more worried about potential damage.

Thanks guys.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Battery was dead flat. Car hadnt been driven for about 5 weeks. Had to be jump started.

:scared:

Dead flat battery is not good, it resets some of the setting in the computer back to default, oh and NEVER jump start an Esprit either.........

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
Dead flat batteries in almost all cars nowadays is a problem starter. I'm not sure about lotus's but it sounds similar to other cars. In mercs strange things happen like wipers start turning themselves on, the bentley would have a strange dash board "flash" where the speedo and rpm dials would max themselves out and stutter. The Lambos would either just fall into a temporary engine light for a few minutes every single time it started until the battery was changed  and sometimes the windows during the night would roll themselves down automatically ( Gallardos, merci and lp640)The alfa seems to blow light globes as the battery nears its end, the Masserati will almost completely shut it self down and leave you stranded, and if it did decide to start you were stuck forever in limp mode and a dashboard resembling Christmas tree lights. Ferrari just wouldn't start, one of the few cars that gives no warning before the battery is deas.
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

Dead flat batteries in almost all cars nowadays is a problem starter. I'm not sure about lotus's but it sounds similar to other cars. In mercs strange things happen like wipers start turning themselves on, the bentley would have a strange dash board "flash" where the speedo and rpm dials would max themselves out and stutter. The Lambos would either just fall into a temporary engine light for a few minutes every single time it started until the battery was changed  and sometimes the windows during the night would roll themselves down automatically ( Gallardos, merci and lp640)The alfa seems to blow light globes as the battery nears its end, the Masserati will almost completely shut it self down and leave you stranded, and if it did decide to start you were stuck forever in limp mode and a dashboard resembling Christmas tree lights. Ferrari just wouldn't start, one of the few cars that gives no warning before the battery is deas.
well worth starting a thread on modern cars and dead batteries .

The Range Rover sat for 6 months ,battery held enough charge to start ....but refused to lock and the heater blower stayed on when turned off.