Offline Esprit SE

Hmmph :?

Was actually going to buy an S4s, but the extra width with the wheel arches was going to cause a major fitment issue.  The S4 only just squeezed in to my English garage.

Oh Well...

How did you get out of the car? Do you have a sunroof? Those pommy garages can be pretty tight.

Offline Stingray69

• Drives: Magnum's car but grey
  • Name: Rennie
Thanks Stingray for the motivational speech. Yeah, I think I'll go for an Esprit. The G-Car or Stevens shape can be a difficult decision. For me the Stevens shape looks more muscular with the raised centre of the bonnet. And the join line on the G-car stands out like dogs balls. But the G-car is a striking looking vehicle - what a sensation it must have been when it came out in '76. But the fuel injected chargecooled engine in the SE is a decider for me. Have read all the Jeremy Walton books. Looking forward to one day visiting the factory. Anybody done that?

Just out of curiosity, why do you love the Esprit? 
I have to admit that the Stevens shape is the better, more integrated, more elegant and timeless shape but I just love the rawness of the G-car. I actually have the brochures for the Esprit range and the SE. If you get that SE, I'll give you my 1989 Esprit catalogue. I have a large collection of exotic car brochures ranging from the Daytona to the 550 Maranello and nearly every exotic in between.
If I knew of Mondi's initiation passage to become an Esprit owner, I reckon I might've signed up instead of joining the limping donkey club ;)
If you ain't living on the edge, then you're taking up too much space

Offline Esprit SE

Just out of curiosity, why do you love the Esprit? 
I have to admit that the Stevens shape is the better, more integrated, more elegant and timeless shape but I just love the rawness of the G-car. I actually have the brochures for the Esprit range and the SE. If you get that SE, I'll give you my 1989 Esprit catalogue. I have a large collection of exotic car brochures ranging from the Daytona to the 550 Maranello and nearly every exotic in between.
If I knew of Mondi's initiation passage to become an Esprit owner, I reckon I might've signed up instead of joining the limping donkey club ;)
I love the Esprit for a bunch of reasons - James Bond, Basic Instinct, the whole small company concept making cars that are able to compete on the world stage, exotic/rare breed, Lotus history/cred, the fact a 4-cylinder was able to match it with much larger capacity engines, the driving position, styling, the fact that I can contact Andy Graham the Lotus historian and get a certificate of provenance and other information. Have just admired them since I was a young lad. haha. A guy in my street where I grew up had (and still owns) a '87 White HCi - seeing one close up is something I still remember.

Offline eck

• Drives: 2009 Lotus Elise
Good and bad news there.  The old man sold the business earlier this year after 60 years in the family.  Shop's still there though and still sells all the good stuff. 

Back to the topic at hand though.  You're either an Elise driver or an Esprit driver.  Back when I bought my Esprit in London, they had just released the Elise and I soon found that all the drivers that chose the Elise as their daily run around were in their early 20's and were either hairdressers or gay - which sort of turned me off driving one.  Now upon arriving back in Oz I was surprised to see that the Elise drivers were completely different - middle aged family men.  Odd.

Choose wisely.

LOL a lot of guys bought there S1 Elise with them to Oz and there now middle aged family men