Offline Esprit SE

Hi all.
The Esprit SE is a car that I have always wanted to own. We are a 2 car household so there will be times when I have to drive 'my car' to work. I'm wondering if an Elise might be a better proposition? A 2007 model would fall into my price range. But in my opinion it is not a true Lotus (although the Toyota engine does offer piece of mind). I have driven some Esprits, I guess I should try an Elise. But they really are 2 different animals. What are people's thoughts on this? Cheers. 

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
Hi all.
The Esprit SE is a car that I have always wanted to own. We are a 2 car household so there will be times when I have to drive 'my car' to work. I'm wondering if an Elise might be a better proposition? A 2007 model would fall into my price range. But in my opinion it is not a true Lotus (although the Toyota engine does offer piece of mind). I have driven some Esprits, I guess I should try an Elise. But they really are 2 different animals. What are people's thoughts on this? Cheers.

They appeal to 2 different type of people. The Esprit was the most expensive and pinnacle of Lotus. The Elise was the budget model.
The Esprit is a fast and well handling GT, while the Elise is a go cart.

The only Elises I have driven were the S2 111R and the S2 supercharged. Didn't like how I would run out of revs without any neck snapping acceleration in the R. Took the S for the day to see if I'd buy one. Took it back after 1/2hour and felt ecstatic to be behind the wheel of my Esprit.

But again, depends what appeals to you. Drive a good example of both (much easier to find an Elise, obviously) and decide for yourself. Maintanance costs are the same in well sorted cars.

What Esprits have you driven?
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
Location ???

I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
Spent enough time in and around both to know they both have the grin factor.  But yeah, totally different animals.

Thinking of any track work?  If so then Elise/Exige.

Weekend trips?  Then Esprit.

And are you tall?  I'm 6'2" and stuggle to fit in some Esprits (but I hear those with higher seating position can be modified).  Elise/Exige is a bugger to get into, but at least once I'm there head room has never been an issue.

Offline RMV

• A Country Member

But in my opinion it is not a true Lotus (although the Toyota engine does offer piece of mind). I have driven some Esprits, I guess I should try an Elise. But they really are 2 different animals. What are people's thoughts on this? Cheers.

An Elise is not a true Lotus? You sure about that? My guess is you've not heard of Colin Chapman, either. The Elise is quintessential lotus. The truest road going Lotus since the Élan (no, not the front wheel drive one).

Offline Esprit SE

An Elise is not a true Lotus? You sure about that? My guess is you've not heard of Colin Chapman, either. The Elise is quintessential lotus. The truest road going Lotus since the Élan (no, not the front wheel drive one).
It uses a Toyota engine, that was my point. Why do you think the new generation of Lotus cars will have in house engines? I have driven '87 Esprit Turbo HCi, '87 HC and an SE. I am in Melbourne. My height is fortunately not an issue. I have owned MR2 AW11's - both NA and a worked SC - I guess the Elise would be like one of those (to the power of 10). No track work is planned, more likely weekend trips. Thanks for the feedback. 

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
I am in Melbourne.

Then I can show you what proper set up Esprit's are like.
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline RMV

• A Country Member

It uses a Toyota engine, that was my point. Why do you think the new generation of Lotus cars will have in house engines? I have driven '87 Esprit Turbo HCi, '87 HC and an SE. I am in Melbourne. My height is fortunately not an issue. I have owned MR2 AW11's - both NA and a worked SC - I guess the Elise would be like one of those (to the power of 10). No track work is planned, more likely weekend trips. Thanks for the feedback.

You're welcome. Always happy to set someone straight.

Lotus has used external engine suppliers since the beginning. Lotus, under Chapman (the founder), used Coventry Climax engines (in the Elite), Ford engines (in the Élan) and Renault engines etc. There's nothing unusual with Lotus using Toyota engines in the Elise/Exige/Evora. Bahar wants to move to in-house engines because he is hell bent on turning Lotus into a Ferrari clone and he thinks extra cred will come from using an in-house engine. It has nothing to do with building a real Lotus.

Offline Esprit SE

You're welcome. Always happy to set someone straight.

Lotus has used external engine suppliers since the beginning. Lotus, under Chapman (the founder), used Coventry Climax engines (in the Elite), Ford engines (in the Élan) and Renault engines etc. There's nothing unusual with Lotus using Toyota engines in the Elise/Exige/Evora. Bahar wants to move to in-house engines because he is hell bent on turning Lotus into a Ferrari clone and he thinks extra cred will come from using an in-house engine. It has nothing to do with building a real Lotus.
Yes, fair point. You know your Lotus history! The Elise is the embodiment of "lightness is next to godliness". I'm thinking I'll keep my eye out for an SE though. I like the low down torquey engine and it has looks to die for IMHO. I keep reading the Elise is such a hard edged car that one can tire of it. For sure it has exceptional handling - if I could afford an Esprit and an Elise I would have both. But alas......

Offline Esprit SE

Then I can show you what proper set up Esprit's are like.
That would be great. Thanks for the offer. Is that an S4 you have?