Hawkeye.

Hi all

I appreciate when looking at the Esprit V8s the idea is to buy a post-2000 model, as presumably the pre-2000 models needed some work (?) Aside from the Loctite engine liner issue, what other items would a 1998 V8-GT model need doing to it that a post-2000 model wouldn't? I'm simply looking at it from a generic viewpoint rather than a specific-vehicle one.

Cheers, Hawk

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
I believe there is only 1 post 2000 v8 in Australia (a blue one) so I think your options will be very limited.

Hawkeye.

Thanks, but I'm looking at it from a generic viewpoint rather than a specific-vehicle one, ie just the specific faults a 98 V8 GT one would have that a 2000 one wouldn't

Ie Diabloinoz wrote  "I would only ever buy a later model MY2000 now when they finally sorted the issues."

and Andecorp wrote "Early V8's had a number of issues, until they were all sorted."

Offline looney

Piston sleeves  on the early cars were faulty and lead to issues.  Early cars had issues where they could be affected by water if driven in the rain. Other than that I can't think of any else specific other than those.

Hawkeye.

Hey looney, did you happen to own a dark-ish grey 1998 GT3 with the S4S-style rear wing a while back?

Offline looney

Hey looney, did you happen to own a dark-ish grey 1998 GT3 with the S4S-style rear wing a while back?

Nope. I know the car you mean it was for sale do ages with the price fluctuating up and down to the tune of 10k here and there.  GT3  isn't really a sought after iteration of the esprit AFAIK but I liked that one purely for the newer Dashboard.    Andecorp, SimonS4 and Sulley would be the guys with the most info.  Especially Sulley, IIRC his V8 gave him no shortage of headaches.

Offline BigD

AllanUber has a 1999 Sport350 for a while and I think that had some troubles.

As a general rule a lot of parts are no longer available. And since it is a budget supercar a lot of backyard mechanics (or non Lotus experience mechanics) may have had a go at it.
So whichever one you find.. get it checked out by someone familiar with the Esprit. Something a simple as ABS playing up or some average Joe mechanic did an engine rebuild, may be a nightmare to resolve.

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
IMO - If the liner issue has been properly resolved and documented then there are no issues with buying an early V8.

If you find one that you have a hankering for, just post it up and we'll give you a run down on any glaring known issues.  Also if it's local to one of us, I'm sure we'd all be happy to give it a once over.
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
AllanUber has a 1999 Sport350 for a while and I think that had some troubles.

As a general rule a lot of parts are no longer available. And since it is a budget supercar a lot of backyard mechanics (or non Lotus experience mechanics) may have had a go at it.
So whichever one you find.. get it checked out by someone familiar with the Esprit. Something a simple as ABS playing up or some average Joe mechanic did an engine rebuild, may be a nightmare to resolve.

The Sport350 wasn't too bad for the short time I had it - apart from stuff that other people who should have known better broke. Our ex-mechanic destroyed second gear during it's first major service. Admittedly the gearbox is fragile, but is fine if you know how to drive it.

We then had issues with it overheating - took it to the new Lotus main dealer in Sydney who replaced a pile of components - but then returned it to me covered in mud (underside and drivers carpet) and with leaves/detritus all over the car. Looked like they left if parked in a field for a week. They somehow managed to scratch the side of the car and damage the factory stickers. It was all fixed up, but was with them for a month to be sorted out. I never got the full story on what happened there.

It wasn't a bad car - but felt to fragile to me and too collectable to drive in the way I'd have preferred to use it. Great looking thing though with that wedge shape and big wing. Went to a collector and that's the perfect place for it.
C'mon, do it!

Offline diabloinoz

• 300kph+ club

• Drives: Diablo 6.0
Thanks, but I'm looking at it from a generic viewpoint rather than a specific-vehicle one, ie just the specific faults a 98 V8 GT one would have that a 2000 one wouldn't

Ie Diabloinoz wrote  "I would only ever buy a later model MY2000 now when they finally sorted the issues."

and Andecorp wrote "Early V8's had a number of issues, until they were all sorted."

mine needed 2 new gearboxes, 4 clutches, 12 catalytic converters, new bonnet clips, and a new glass roof. Never mind the exhaust heat shield needing rewelding every visit to the dealer. All in its first 2 years ... luckily all under warranty.

It's because of the fight i had with chris knight (then ceo) that the engine liner recall was initiated!

If you find a 1996-1998 with non of the above fixed or replaced, expect big $$$$ bills.

Good luck