Hawkeye.

mine needed 2 new gearboxes, 4 clutches, 12 catalytic converters, new bonnet clips, and a new glass roof. Never mind the exhaust heat shield needing rewelding every visit to the dealer. All in its first 2 years ... luckily all under warranty.

It's because of the fight i had with chris knight (then ceo) that the engine liner recall was initiated!

If you find a 1996-1998 with non of the above fixed or replaced, expect big $$$$ bills.

Good luck

I'm guessing you had the first of the V8's right? Does anyone know if the above stuff was sorted with the introduction of the V8 GT version in 98?

Offline diabloinoz

• 300kph+ club

• Drives: Diablo 6.0
I'm guessing you had the first of the V8's right? Does anyone know if the above stuff was sorted with the introduction of the V8 GT version in 98?

My understanding is the clutch and gearbox were.

The original geatbox was from a renault 21 and couldn't cope with the V8 torque ... twice it shredded 2nd gear and 5th gear.  They replaced it with a Renault 25 Turbo gearbox from memory.  I couldn't tell you who made the exact box ... too long ago.

The clutch originally was a single plate (can't remember the manufacturer), they started install twin plate AP racing clutches from 98 onwards is my understanding.

Also, the bonnet clips were so badly adjusted that the bonnet lifted (due to the fibreglass bending) at 145mph.  They put new clips on mine.

If I had kept the car, I would have replaced the original cats with different model high flow cats (stupidly expensive though), and the heat shield I think was just shit welding by London Lotus who dealt with the car at the time.  How hard can it be really!!

I think a late 98/99/00 should be ok, but you really need to know what's under the skin.

Offline BigD

1997 Azure Blue V8 on carsales   $135K!!!!!

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Lotus-Esprit-1997/SSE-AD-4504363/?Cr=3

So what would be the value of a V8 GT!

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle

Offline Hawkeye

There was one on Trade Me (NZ) with an asking price of $53K for quite some time. It sold recently - it was my backup option. I lucked out on picking up a black S4S recently, and unfortunately didn't quite have the funds ready to go when a black V8 came up for auction a while back. Funds are now ready, but unfortunately the numerous cars that were for sale have dried up as well. Back to the waiting game.

I posted this same car in the "silly asking price thread" and one guy reckons it would be cheaper than picking up a shitter and then spending $30K, but I'm struggling to understand how anyone would spend over $105k on a shitter in the first place when some reasonable ones have sold for circa $45K

I'm kinda hoping the grey GT3 (or better yet, another GT3 / GT3S import) will come up for sale shortly  :-)

H.

Offline Andy@MMRT

• Drives: Murcielago
1997 Azure Blue V8 on carsales   $135K!!!!!

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Lotus-Esprit-1997/SSE-AD-4504363/?Cr=3

"This is an EXTREMELY rare hand built supercar. With prices rising quicker, annually, than the average mortgage percentage rate... This is a solid blue chip investment & a highly collectable vehicle! These cars WILL be worth enormous $ in the future! Research it yourself. "

Maybe when you increase it $135k overnight it's better than property...but you need someone to buy it first. 

I do love the Esprit, but wouldn't consider Lotus blue chip...

Offline Hawkeye

Maybe when you increase it $135k overnight it's better than property...but you need someone to buy it first. 

That's the funny thing - *if* someone were to buy it at the asking price, then it *would* prove him correct in that he would have made a good profit, however he's asking top dollar for it and therefore to see any further increase in price you'd have to hang onto it for a heck of a long time... I'm not convinced that it's such a good "investment", and with electric conversions undoubtedly not that far away....

With the front indicators being around the wrong way and a question mark over whether any of the recommended upgrades have been done (engine sealant, fuel tanks etcetera), I doubt this one is going anywhere for a while. But I have been known to be wrong in the past :-)

Offline diabloinoz

• 300kph+ club

• Drives: Diablo 6.0
Down to $110k yesterday ... down to $100k today ...

Knowing these cars ... I reckon $75k is a nice buy ... if it has no issues ... $50k if it has issues.

Offline Hawkeye

Down to $110k yesterday ... down to $100k today ...

Knowing these cars ... I reckon $75k is a nice buy ... if it has no issues ... $50k if it has issues.

So the blue chip investment has lost about $10,000 a week....

If he's talking $50K, I've got the funds to throw down. At this rate I'm guessing it will be about mid-march :)

Offline BigD