Offline Rainey

Hey guys, just wanted to quickly share with you some fun a mate and myself had last Monday down here in quiet old Tassie.

To celebrate (not really) the repair of his Lotus Exige S1 since a little unplanned excursion on the Devonport stage in the Rookie Rallye, Targa Tasmania 2007 (ancient I know!) we decided to track our cars together at Baskerville Raceway, a cute little circuit just North of Hobart. This was the first time I'd tracked my own car (boring old 1999 GC8 Subaru Impreza WRX) but I was excited to let rip on essentially what would be a clean circuit being a Monday where we both took the day off from work - something which we'd hoped no one else planned to do.

So anyway, driving my own car was like a different world than on the street as one can expect but when we decided to swap cars for a bit I was absolutely stunned by the little bubble that could. Yes I'd read that these things are like a go kart, light and agile - and as far as I could tell they weren't far wrong. The best way to describe driving this car is to put it plainly - point and shoot, it just goes where ever the hell you point that nose. Grip was insane, to a point where I would not want to explore the limit of traction, or to imagine how far it is until I reach that point. I know in my unskilled, somewhat retarded hands the car would be going backwards before I knew I'd even come a cropper. No power steering you say? Didn't feel like it, but I know its true - the car tracks like it is on rails and almost wants to pull itself around the optimal line of the racetrack on its own...  Power application is punchy as is the stopping power, for a 1.8L they squeezed every last horses nut sack out of this engine, stab the throttle and the head rest lets you know it is time to wake up, stab the brake pedal and you realise that its another overcast day in Tasmania out - but all in all the car is a lot of fun!

While we were there I got some pics of the car, because I'm certain there are some Loti enthusiasts that might get a stiffy from these:

I also put together a nice little video from the day, its a mash up of footage mainly of my own car and driving - but there is a few flashes of Scrotus at the end. :)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPDGrkpUeG8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPDGrkpUeG8</a>

Hope you enjoy, and please leave a comment if you did. :thumbsup:

Offline dkabab

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Ahhh thanks for that - you summed up what it took me over 3,000 words to write a few weeks ago :doh: :p

And funnily enough for the first couple seconds of seeing the first photo I thought it was a pic my gf in 2003 took in the UK for me! (long time since looked at it)  Funnily enough - I posted this a year or two ago on AussieElises and one of them piped up to say they bought that car and brought it to Kiwiland!

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
photobucket stuff not loading here.   :thumbsdown:

But the white beastie looks familiar.   :thumbsup:

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter

Hope you enjoy, and please leave a comment if you did. :thumbsup:

the driver of that white car should take up motor bike racing.....the way he's leaning into those corners.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline Rainey

Thanks Aircon, thats me. Know any teams that are looking for a rider?

Ash I just had a read through your S write-up, pretty awesome mate. Well written!

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
Thanks Aircon, thats me. Know any teams that are looking for a rider?

Ash I just had a read through your S write-up, pretty awesome mate. Well written!

Rossi's contract is up end of 2010 I think.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline Aedo

• Drives: Elise S2 111S
I thought that car looked great in its original blue - and it looks even better now in Graphite Grey :)

If you are registered on seloc do you want to add the photos to my favourite thread there?
http://forums.seloc.org/viewthread.php?tid=187002&page=1

If not I can do it - or Mr Hat can do it himself (would be his first post there!!)