Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Happy Birthday Lotus. Even if it's a bit late.

Yesterday Lotus kicked off its celebrations of its 60th Anniversary and to mark the occasion the British sportscar maker presented a diamond encrusted version of the Lotus Europa boosting the models overall value to £150,000

Lotus partnered with Winsor Bishop to produce the model, it features 164 beautiful Round Brilliant Diamonds that carry a market value of £111,100. Specially designed rev counter and speed dials feature the diamonds and are further highlighted by hidden LED accent lighting. Further encrusted diamonds can be found on the gear lever and when we move to the exterior, the appearance of the car has been showered in Diamonds.

Security reasons mean the show car on display can only be fitted replica diamonds.

A date for your diary – Lotus is inviting everyone to come to its Hethel HQ on September 14 to celebrate its 60th anniversary.

A number of high profile events will be taking place this year to celebrate but the most important has to be this 60th birthday bash, which will be opened by Hazel and Clive Chapman.

15,000 Lotus fans are expected to be turning up are there will be a number of activities throughout the day, although more details will be available nearer the date.

Not only will the event be looking back at the heritage of the marquee but also will preview what we can expect from Lotus in the future.

It was in 1948 that Colin Chapman built his first racecar and his theory of 'performance through lightweight' formed the foundation of one of the most successful racing teams todate.

Group Lotus Plc CEO Mike Kimberley said: ‘This is a great opportunity to celebrate the past and look forward to both a very special year for Lotus and a fantastic future.

‘It’s important to us to celebrate the spirit of Lotus and we invite everyone to our headquarters to meet our people, our staff and our fans, and see us moving forwards.

‘In 2008 an all new car will be unveiled at the London Motorshow and an impressive global expansion programme is planned for our high tech Lotus Engineering Consultancy, so there’s an exciting energy at Lotus that we want to share with our wider communities.’

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Aren't there like 2 gazillion manufacturers that have had their 60th this or last year?

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Aren't there like 2 gazillion manufacturers that have had their 60th this or last year?

Yes, but you don't want to hear about Land Rover or Saab or...........................  do you???

Ferrari was last year.

So what are you saying, that I shouldn't have bothered?  :confused:

* edit * Sorry, just thought it was relavant as it only just happened.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Ford 60th 2007
Ferrari 60th 2007
Porsche 60th 2008
Holden 60th 2008
Land Rover 60th 2008
Saab 60th 2008

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
So 2047 / 2048 there's gonna be lots of car parties then.  My car should be classified as a vintage auto by then.

Personally I didn't bother going back for the bash.  9 years living in London was enough for me.
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

You might want to check that one.  :confused:

I saw a bunch of Model T's on the weekend - I think they were celebrating the 100th birthday.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

It might have been F-150 or pick-ups or something to do with rednecks... I didn't think much about it - was pretty busy today.  Just google Ford 60th Anniversary

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

GM - 100 years on the 16th.   :D

btw, I used to have an F100 vintage pickup,  redneck hey.  :p