Offline kaiynne

I am considering importing my Elise under the personal import scheme, I have owned it for 2 years in the states and am moving back here permanently for work.  Pretty sure I qualify, but I have spent some time in Australia over the last year for work, hence why I am moving back, the travel was getting to be a little much.

Looking at all of the documentation there are a few points I am confused on. 

If I get the dealership in the US to convert the car to RHD will I still need it to be inspected here when it arrives?
Can I get approval to import the car and then have the conversion and compliance work done at a later date?
How long will I have after importing it to get the compliance work done if I just have the dealership convert to RHD over there?
Is insurance going to be a hassle?  I read on one of the GOV info sites that it can be hard to get anything but 3rd party...

It looks like it will cost around 10k in duties etc. and about 3k to transport it.  Which leaves the compliance and conversion costs which I am thinking will be around 10k.

So I am looking at around 23k to be able to register the car here (hopefully) , but if I could just pay the first 10k-13k to get it over here then deal with the conversion costs later it would be much easier on my wallet...  I still have a few thousand to pay off on the car loan.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, having searched through and read a bunch of threads it seems like there are some experts running around who might have definitive answers for me on some of these points.

Offline ACP

• Lives in a Metro Tangerine

• Drives: McLaren
Not worth it. Sell it over in the US then buy a new one in Oz. A coverted LHD to RHD import Elise would be close to sale proof. Australian market has it in their DNA to hate imports and a coversion won't help.

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
Not worth it. Sell it over in the US then buy a new one in Oz. A coverted LHD to RHD import Elise would be close to sale proof. Australian market has it in their DNA to hate imports and a coversion won't help.

He might however have a heart attack if he saw that cars cost about double here. LOL

People in the US dont realise how cheap cars are over there.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
ok, but if you sell it in the US without spending anything on it you'll save the $23k

so, what is it worth in the US market?

factor in your peace of mind and hassle involved

and would the ~$23k (or more I think) saved go some way to buying a similar local Oz one.

I say don't bother. Sell it in the US and save your money. Top it up a little if needed here, but surely the difference wouldn't be THAT much?

what are the numbers?

Offline kaiynne

ok, but if you sell it in the US without spending anything on it you'll save the $23k

so, what is it worth in the US market?

factor in your peace of mind and hassle involved

and would the ~$23k (or more I think) saved go some way to buying a similar local Oz one.

I say don't bother. Sell it in the US and save your money. Top it up a little if needed here, but surely the difference wouldn't be THAT much?

what are the numbers?

If I sold it in the US right now, I might get 35k.

To buy the same thing in Australia would be 75k plus easily.

And I am really not looking to sell it once I get it here so it not being worth much is not as much of an issue as the cost of replacing it here.

Offline MissLogistics

• That chick from AustOrient

Hi Kaiynne,

Let me know if you would like assistance with importing and customs formalities,  I'd be happy to help.
Refer our company details under Vendors - Austorient Motorsport Logistics

cheers Deborah

Offline kaiynne

Hi Kaiynne,

Let me know if you would like assistance with importing and customs formalities,  I'd be happy to help.
Refer our company details under Vendors - Austorient Motorsport Logistics

cheers Deborah

I was actually planning to give you guys a call on Monday, saw your info in the vendors section earlier. 

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
If I sold it in the US right now, I might get 35k.

To buy the same thing in Australia would be 75k plus easily.

And I am really not looking to sell it once I get it here so it not being worth much is not as much of an issue as the cost of replacing it here.

ok, say you get 35k US... that's what.. $38k AUD

save your 23k (AUD?)

makes ~$61k

leaves you $14k short...

Personally, with the risk and hassle and worry (albeit it limited if you use Austorient ;) ), I don't see the point..

$14k is ~ a set of tyres, a RWC, and a big service with brake pads and a paint work tidy up.... all stuff that will be done to a car you'd buy here.

Offline kaiynne

ok, say you get 35k US... that's what.. $38k AUD

save your 23k (AUD?)

makes ~$61k

leaves you $14k short...

Personally, with the risk and hassle and worry (albeit it limited if you use Austorient ;) ), I don't see the point..

$14k is ~ a set of tyres, a RWC, and a big service with brake pads and a paint work tidy up.... all stuff that will be done to a car you'd buy here.

I have had some modifications done (side scoops, mesh grilles, lid bone, HID's etc ) which add up to around 8k AUD which would be essentially worthless if the car was sold.

From talking to the dealer over there the conversion to RHD is not that difficult as everything is bolt on.  Plus I would have my car which I know has been taken very good care of and has no issues whatsoever, if I buy a used elise here there is a higher likelihood of having issues since I won't know how it has been driven cared for etc.

The other issue is that 2008 N/A elises are vaishingly rare, only about 10-20 were imported into the US so I would imagine even fewer would have been here, which means I would have to get very lucky to get the colour and options I wanted in a used Elise.  Which means buying a new one and then we are talking 110k+.  But there is a very good chance I would have to fork out 85k to get close to the options I want and even then it would not have the mods I have done, so to get it to the same point we would be talking 95k and then the difference becomes 34k which is well worth any risks of getting it over here to me.

Not to mention I love the car and I would probably spend an extra 10k just to keep it let alone spending more to get rid of it...

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Have you had a firm quote on the conversion over there???

With all due respect - I would be checking out the company very closely who would do the conversion as I know first hand how dodgy the Yanks can be with these things. I do a lot of conversion work but not really on these mainly old Tanks like Mustangs, etc.

I don't know who would do a conversion on one of these here, but it would not be cheap I would imagine. If it was converted in the States, it would still need to be inspected here and given an engineers certificate. It is stated somewhere(can't find it just at the moment) that if there is any modification done to the vehicle, it will need to be inspected and the mods will need to be approved.

But the advantage is it will not have to go thru the RAWS process to be imported as it will be PI.

I will talk to some people I know and find out if there is anyone who does convert them here.

Love,
Mondi