Offline kaiynne

Have you had a firm quote on the conversion over there???

With all due respect - I would be checking out the company very closely who would do the conversion as I know first hand how dodgy the Yanks can be with these things. I do a lot of conversion work but not really on these mainly old Tanks like Mustangs, etc.

I don't know who would do a conversion on one of these here, but it would not be cheap I would imagine. If it was converted in the States, it would still need to be inspected here and given an engineers certificate. It is stated somewhere(can't find it just at the moment) that if there is any modification done to the vehicle, it will need to be inspected and the mods will need to be approved.

But the advantage is it will not have to go thru the RAWS process to be imported as it will be PI.

I will talk to some people I know and find out if there is anyone who does convert them here.

Love,
Mondi

Thanks for that, I did notice that the RAWS process seems a lot more difficult to get through.  As for the conversion it would be done at the dealership, they are lotus certified and have done excellent work on the car in the past including all of my mods.  They also repaired the car after an accident a year ago and the work was excellent so I would trust them to do this.  As for the cost I have not got a quote from them yet, but I have seen places in the UK that do it so I would imagine it would be somewhat comparable.  The advantage with the lotus from what I have read is that everything is bolt on, once you have the parts it is just a matter of removing the old and replacing with the new, since the cars are made in the same factory for RHD and LHD nothing to fabricate or anything like that.  The other advantage to that is using all OEM parts should mean that it would pass any sort of inspection since it would be identical to a RHD elise from the factory.

Offline kaiynne

Thanks for that, I did notice that the RAWS process seems a lot more difficult to get through.  As for the conversion it would be done at the dealership, they are lotus certified and have done excellent work on the car in the past including all of my mods.  They also repaired the car after an accident a year ago and the work was excellent so I would trust them to do this.  As for the cost I have not got a quote from them yet, but I have seen places in the UK that do it so I would imagine it would be somewhat comparable.  The advantage with the lotus from what I have read is that everything is bolt on, once you have the parts it is just a matter of removing the old and replacing with the new, since the cars are made in the same factory for RHD and LHD nothing to fabricate or anything like that.  The other advantage to that is using all OEM parts should mean that it would pass any sort of inspection since it would be identical to a RHD elise from the factory.

Just got the numbers back from the dealer.  Looking like almost 15k USD for the conversion after labour and parts...  Which pretty much blows the whole proposition out of the water.

Now I am looking at SC cars from the UK which are already RHD.  Looks like for around 45k AUD for a pretty well kept '09.

I am wondering about getting compliance done on the car though, I read somewhere I would be looking at around 10k AUD.

Any thoughts on this?

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Just got the numbers back from the dealer.  Looking like almost 15k USD for the conversion after labour and parts...  Which pretty much blows the whole proposition out of the water.

Now I am looking at SC cars from the UK which are already RHD.  Looks like for around 45k AUD for a pretty well kept '09.

I am wondering about getting compliance done on the car though, I read somewhere I would be looking at around 10k AUD.

Any thoughts on this?

RAWS on an Elise is $13,000. Then rego and stamps etc, etc.

By time you import one, pay shipping, taxes, etc, etc, etc you will not be saving much anyway.

Buy one here, you may pay a little extra, but trust me it will be worth it in the long run by miles.

Offline kaiynne

RAWS on an Elise is $13,000. Then rego and stamps etc, etc.

By time you import one, pay shipping, taxes, etc, etc, etc you will not be saving much anyway.

Buy one here, you may pay a little extra, but trust me it will be worth it in the long run by miles.

Looks like I might just wait till the SC 2011 models arrive.  Now what do I do without my car for a year...

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

Offline Aedo

• Drives: Elise S2 111S
Have you spoken with Lee at Simply Sports Cars?   He can import an comply a UK car or potentially convert yours here (which may be significantly cheaper than in the US - plus you wouldn't pay duty on the conversion cost).   www.simplysportscars.com

Offline kaiynne

Have you spoken with Lee at Simply Sports Cars?   He can import an comply a UK car or potentially convert yours here (which may be significantly cheaper than in the US - plus you wouldn't pay duty on the conversion cost).   www.simplysportscars.com

I have not done so, will call him today.  Thanks very much for that the site looks great. 

Looks like the dream is still alive...

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

They do the RAWS as well, and are very nice to deal with.   :thumbsup:

Offline kaiynne

They do the RAWS as well, and are very nice to deal with.   :thumbsup:

Spoke to Stu over there today, they were extremely helpful.  Hopefully we can work something out.