Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
JAMES BOND'S LOTUS ESPRIT UP FOR GRABS

First-ever Esprit Turbo to be auctioned by Coys; previous owners '007' and Colin Chapman

A rare double-whammy of Lotus history is being sold at the Coys Blenheim Palace auction on Saturday 18th July, as the Lotus Esprit turbo used by Roger Moore in For Your Eyes Only goes up for sale.

Why the double-whammy? Because OPW678W is not only 007’s ride from the 1981 film, it was also used by Lotus founder Colin Chapman as his daily driver before its starring role.

The car – which also happens to be the first Esprit Turbo that Lotus produced – was originally white, but the film’s producers discovered that the car didn’t stand out against snowy backdrops (surprise, surprise), so the Esprit Turbo was sent back to Lotus to be repainted in its current metallic bronze colour.

The car might not be as trick as the submarine Esprit that the catalogue says is from Never Say Never Again (though as many PHers have pointed out it is actually from The Spy Who Loved Me), but those bespoke ski racks – which are included in the sale – are pretty cool.

If you fancy owning a piece of Lotus and film history, now might be a good time as the Coys guide price is £90,000-£110,000 – a fair sight less that the £135k opening gambit the last time the car went on sale back in 2006.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=20249

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Here's the last time it was listed.

Bond's Esprit up for sale

Wednesday 17th May 2006

Fancy the Lotus Esprit Turbo that Roger Moore's James Bond used in "For Your Eyes Only"?

It's about to be auctioned off on eBay. According to the description, chassis number SCCFC20A8AMD 10858, engine number CC912 8011 18912, has double pinstripes, alloy wheels -- and a self-destruct system consisting of four C4 explosive packs (strategically hidden in both sides of the car, front and back), magnetic seals on all doors and boot, and vibration sensors.

Be warned: it's not cheap...

http://www.pistonheads.com/Lotus/default.asp?storyId=13937

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

COOL - I wanted to do one like this years ago.

Can't read to good, too much JD, giggle, but pictures look nice. 

Wow - I think I spell all that OK too.    :(   Oops, I mean  :)

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Had your chance to mix it with the ladies...

http://aussieexotics.com/forum/lotus/lotus-1985-esprit-turbo-t481.0.html;msg4607#msg4607

Bugger.   Still wish I got that JPS when I had the chance, Oh well, all good things come to those who wait - or something like that.   :thumbsup:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Bond's Lotus bought for £105,000

James Bond's Lotus Esprit from the film For Your Eyes Only has been sold to a Middle Eastern buyer for £105,000 at an auction in Oxfordshire.

The sale at Blenheim Palace took place on Saturday. The auction firm Coys said the buyer was a telephone bidder.

Two identical cars were supplied for the Production, but one was blown up during a stunt.

The car was designed to be a less gadget-laden and more realistic than the elaborate models of the 1970s.

It was the work of Lotus's own development team. Prior to its role in the Bond film, the car was used by Lotus boss Colin Chapman. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/oxfordshire/8157586.stm