Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
1. im very happy, im yet to have a mechanical issue, only cost has been new front pads and an oil change
2. im thrilled with how it looks, and with the pics taken by dkabab. I do agree that some pics, even those on the lotus website are less flattering
3. Like I said, I drive it to work if im working in Adelaide, and I do the shopping in it etc. So I use it as an every day car, however im generally only in my own state 3 days a week. If I was parking on the street during the day I would be concerned

Offline dkabab

Its looks grow on you… having photographed futurisms car a few times, I've studied it a bit. I remember seeing one about a year ago and thinking it was a bit awkward.
I think it’s a car that if made by any other company it would have been awesome, but since it’s a lotus and they also make the exige/elise it struggles to get sales.
On the road its so tiny…. I will post a pic up tonight of it in traffic. It looks quite comical

Offline futurism

do you have a picture of me driving in traffic? are you a speed camera operator?

Offline Sportyboy

Some pics in traffic would be great!
Thanks so much guys, not easy getting a fix on this one...so few, if ANY around to aquaint with.
This car seems to have something, especially the cabin, once I sat in it, got under my skin...just can't put my finger on it!

Offline dkabab

do you have a picture of me driving in traffic? are you a speed camera operator?

pfff.... wouldnt stoop that low. just your freindly neighbourhood stalker.

Offline futurism

getting in and out can be uncomfortable, you need both hands, but once in its very comfortable

The 3rd day I owned mine, I drove from Bendigo to Adelaide, which is a good 8 hours, and only got out of it twice for fuel and food.

My girlfriend was in the passenger seat. Neither of us felt any the worse for the experience. She certainly was anxious about being uncomfortable before the drive, I was only anxious about breaking down or doing a tyre (since theres no spare). But even she decided it was comfortable and insisted on driving for a couple of hours.

On a side note, she drove it again on the weekend in the winery region called the barossa valley, an area notorious for speed traps etc.
We swapped seats on a remote stretch of road, and I told her to be careful getting back on the road as it was parked on gravel. That part was fine. She then floored it and got up to 175 before I yelled at her, thats significantly faster than I have ever been in it. We immediately pulled over and swapped back.

Offline Sportyboy

If I could ask, what was story behind you buying the Europa?

Offline futurism

Decided I would like a nice car
looked around for a while at what was available, decided that Lotus was the most exotic maker in my price range (couldnt afford ferrari, porsche, lamborghini etc)

Read some more, realised that the bang for the buck in a Lotus seems to be higher than elsewhere, also evaluated lifestyle and decided I dont need a sensible car at all

Started looking at what was available in the way of secondhand lotus's in Australia
Decided that a roof was important to me, thus an elise became more difficult, as id have to find one with a hard top installed, or import and prepare a hard top (which im too lazy/stupid to do)

Started looking at exiges and elises with a hard top, but the europa was in the back of my mind, didnt know much about it, and no one did.
realised the only elise with a hard top was a guy called loony and it had previously been crashed, sort of lost interest in that one
Kept looking at exiges, but at the time they were a bit too expensive.

It got to the end of the year and I decided I was going to buy something. Called up the place selling the Europa, and they were very helpful (to this point I had never driven a Lotus, Prestige cars in adelaide who are the dealer refused to let me...sux to be them now doesnt it? the europa they have had for sale has been there since 2007 and its still there with the sticker price on it of $110k)

The price was ok, but more importantly there was no hassle involved if the deal went ahead, we agreed a price on my trade in RX8, the insurance they resell/recommend turned out to be the cheapest, and they were going to open on the day between new years day and the weekend to cater just for me, as I was driving over from Adelaide in my existing car to buy it and have a mini holiday. I had not committed to buy at this point, and there was no pressure.

So i turned up at the agreed time, the cars out the front waiting, the boss is there, hands me the keys, doesnt even want to come with me, tells me if I could have it back in about an hour that would be good.
I guess I drove for about 30 minutes, decided it was fantastic, convinced my girlfriend it wasnt that terrifying and came back.

There was no negotiation to be done, as we had done that prior to me arriving, everything checked out as it was described, as did my trade in (which they never drove) the boss drove me into central melbourne to get the bank check and I drove off.

The only drama I had was part of the deal was new tyres, which is a good thing, I drove to the tyre centre that was agreed, to discover the lock nut key thing was missing, so getting the wheels off turned into a drama which included trying to get a matching one from zagames. This didnt work and eventually the tyre place smashed them off, in 2 seconds flat.

oh yeah, they also arranged the permits for me to drive back to adelaide without a number plate, they paid for that before I arrived on the off chance I might buy it.

long story, but then again, you did ask for the story!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
...we agreed a price on my trade in RX8...

Ahhhh hahaha the RX8 and Looney thing reminded me of that corker response about why wouldn't you buy a Europa...

Quote from: Looney
not technically a bad car, and I don't mind the looks of it, but reasons to not buy itare;

- Resale will be hard
- not particularly popular compared to its competition (cayman) so tough resale
- not as well appointed as competition, so harder resale
- build quality and F&F not as food as competition, so tough resale
- lacks the agility and outright driving experience of the elise, so tough resale.
- low numbers sold, means little options for aftermarket etc, and seemingly (much against  my taste) allot of lotus owners like to do aftermarket. so tough resale

its not a bad car, by any means, but it kind of missed its mark & and therefore makes it less popular than alternatives. all this means in the end is that it will be either hard or expensive to shift when you are done with it (just look the 12 month old cars are being advertised at 75K and they aren't  selling. what are they new? 115K+?)

but if you like it and can wear the tear up over the time you own it, I say go for it.

:D

Offline futurism

since we are discussing loony/looney now, and I know you have discussed his opinion on resale values before

he didnt actually show me the pictures of his crashed car, but I sifted through all his posts on aussieelises and collected the photos for my collection

http://www.r4d.org/photos/elise/