great set up  :thumbsup:
try it you may like !!!

Back from the Dead

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
He's put up more info on the X180R for those interested.

Also...

I picked up this Photo of Emerson Fittipaldi when I was racing a Sebring. At the time I had little experience and looked at the photo as a nondescript shot of Emmo driving a Lotus 72, which is why I bought it, I wanted an image of both a 72 and Emmo. Those in the know will immediately know that the track is Watkins Glen - because of the light blue ARMCO.

A friend of mine works for Penske and at the time was a fabricator for his CART Team and was a wheel man on Tracy's crew. Emmo was on the team as well, and my friend, Rich, invited me to the CART race at Nazareth. I was unable to go because of work, and I was not able to get out of it so I didn't go, but I gave a few things to Rich and asked if he could get Emmo to sign for me.

It rained at the event, so since it is an oval course, no track time. Rich said uncharacteristically Emmo was hanging out with the crew and chatting history, so Rich figured it would be a good time to break out the photo. According to Rich, Emmo took one look at the Glen photo and immediately lit up. "This is the best car I ever drove" was the first thing out of his mouth (but say it in your head with a thick Brazilian accent). He then went on to say it was his first F1 win and waxed elequent on the car and the Team etc. etc. etc. And I wasn't there! Doh!

If you don't already know. That particular race is legend in Lotus history. In 1970 Jochen Rindt was leading the World Championship when he met his untimely demise at Monza when he craseh his 72 and submarined under the belts. Moral was very low within the Team and Emmo was hastily promoted to the F1 team, from F3. THe Glen was only his third race, and by winning he clinched the Championship for Rindt, and similar to Hills win in Spain after Clark's death, restored morale and motivation to Chapman and the rest of Team Lotus.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

And... :cool:

I was invited to Indy by the track medical staff to observe their operations. Not much was happening in the hospital after the tour, so I spent a lot of time in Gasolina Alley and watching practice. I took along a print of Mario in the Type 79 to try and get it autographed. I stood in front of his garage for about 3 hours waiting for him to come out to no avail. Finally I had to go to the bathroom so bad, I gave up and sought relief. When I returnd there was a throng of people and Mario was out signing stuff. Crap! I pushed my way through as best I could to get near the front. Mario made eye contact and came towards me - I think he realized I was waiting for a long time and selected me out, at least that's my version of the story. Most of the stuff people were getting signed was K-Mart/Havoline branded current CART trinkets. When he saw my Lotus poster he hesitated, gazed at the image for a while, then grinned, signed and handed it back. It was the only signature I witnessed that day that was not done like an automaton.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

:cool:

Around the time I bought the M100, Lotus were actively racing the X180R Esprits in IMSA Bridgestone Supercars. I immediately became a fan and followed their progress closely. John Guth from Rothrock even had Doc Bundy call me at home to invite me into their paddock at a race at Lime Rock.

I decided it would be really cool to one day own one. The Lotus Sport Team ran a promotion, that by joining their club you could have a chance at winning one so I joined. The promotion never panned out becuase of litigation issues. Time passed and I had almost forgotten about it until one race at Road Atlanta I ran into Arnie Johnson and asked if I could ever buy one. He said the litigation had been settled and gave me a orice. i sent him a check when I got home.

The X180R appelation include three different version. The original 2 race cars ran in SCCA World Challenge and kicked the *ss of the Corvettes that owned the series at the time. These 2 cars were designated Type 105's. Regulations required 20 cars to be homologated 20 atreet ho,ologation specials were built up that also carried the type number 105. Having learned some things in need of updating Lotus built 3 additional cars with enough updates to give a new number and these were designated Type 106. My car is a 106.

It has some succes on the track. It was the primary car to go to the Hollywood guys when then ran with the team. Bobby Carradine had a few race wins. ANd Paul Newman drove it as well. When I bought it pro divers Doc Bundy, David Murray and Andy Pilgrim all concurred and said they thought my chassis handled the best. It eventually became known as the Entreprenuer Car for the EntrePrenuer Magazine sponsorship and driver Peter Shea (who owned Entreprenuer Magazine). It was Peter who added the yellow and blue stripes.