• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Oh, this is great fun.  :D

The poor old girl looks horrible now with all the body work stripped off. Couldn't believe how much had to come off to get the rear bumper off, hehehe.  :eek:

Anyway, I have gone and done it to myself again.

OK - the paint code is B17 and the colour is Mica Yellow. But would you believe that this paint code does not come up in any of the paint systems. I can find:
B05 Norfolk Mustard (this will be the code on Andecorp's girl, I think)
B36 New Lotus Yellow (Spice)

DuPont were the supplier of the paints for Lotus back then and a quick phone call to them did not help at all.  :doh:

Anyhoo, looks like it will be mix and match time. The paint appears to be a single layer pearl, that is the pearl is mixed with the colour and laid down with a clear over the top.

I would like to do a 3 layer pearl which is a white base coat, then the colour and then the pearl with the clear over the top. This gives a really deep lustre and looks awesome but it may change the colour too much.   :scratchchin:

I have checked all the normal references but there is not a lot of info on finding a recipe for the mix.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com

Offline dkabab

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
That's funny - over dinner I just realised it's been a while since we'd had an update.  Came back to find this.

But yeah, where are the photos?

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass

B05 Norfolk Mustard (this will be the code on Andecorp's girl, I think)

Correct.

B17 is a very rare color as it was custom order from Lotus. You're not going to find much info on it. Good luck matching it!

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
BTW, my hoist is getting installed tomorrow. I'll post pics - excited! :D

Paul wants to know when you are bringing her down. He said regarding the leak, check the pins as they are hollow and oil leaks through them. They are supposed to be sealed.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Try this:

edit: this link takes you to a bunch of different versions or something - I don't know anything about paint. :?

Thanks Ash, that's the one I was looking for. We don't deal with DuPont that much.

The reason for the different versions of paint is fairly long winded, but short version is that the paints change over the years, and because of the age of the car we are talking about, the same paints that were used back then may not be available now.
So they give you a bunch of options to match the original paint. Also there are different versions for different needs, like if it is only a minor repair or a full respray. A minor repair is going to need a very close match were as a full respray may not need to be as critical. And the paint on the car will also fade over time and general stuff like that.

We normally get a mix done from the paint colour code and tint it to match it better. Or if we have the recipe, just mix it ourselves. But in this case, I think I will get DuPont to mix me a tin as it is the OEM paint.

are you documenting with photos?

Does the Pope shit in the Woods????    :p  

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: WYSIWYG
B17 Mica Yellow      ICI / DuPont Code:  637CJ417    Lotus Touch up Code:  A082B6300F

Or...

you could go BRG - not many in that colour in Oz.