Offline Hawkeye

Would have posted this under Lotus for sale, but I'm missing the required button.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1995-Lotus-Esprit-V8-/182065427037?hash=item2a63f1f25d:g:rbQAAOSwxcRW88Cm

Any info on this one?

H.

PS - Now have the required funds for a potential purchase. Can anyone tell me if the grey GT3 will be on the market? Or a well looked after Thomson? Prefer S4S spoiler, monobloc rims.

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
Never heard of this one before.

I'd have my eyes open for the fact that it hasn't been on the road in 11 years, which means big $ to re-commission.

Also, it looks stacked in the nose - indicators the wrong way around and lower spoiler missing.

Could be a great find though.
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline andecorp

Can anyone tell me if the grey GT3 will be on the market?
That car was an import. Why would you want it? From memory (I could be wrong though) it was modified too.

Offline Hawkeye

That car was an import. Why would you want it? From memory (I could be wrong though) it was modified too.

It ticks a lot of boxes - Thomson styling, later model, nice colour, updated interior, and doesn't have the $80k+ price tag, plus I'm not overly worried if it has the V8 or straight four as having driven Landcruisers for the last ten years I'm sure anything will be plenty fast enough. Actually to be honest the most ideal one I've seen was that black v8 one that sold at auction a short while ago. Would have placed a bid on it if I had the money at the time. 

Offline dkabab

indicators the wrong way around and lower spoiler missing.

this still gets me every time.... why does this happen to every lotus... hell its even happened to a mclaren f1....

Offline andecorp

this still gets me every time.... why does this happen to every lotus... hell its even happened to a mclaren f1....
The indicators on the Thomson Esprits are the same as the F1. No surprise that they were fitted wrong on the F1 too.

Offline diabloinoz

• 300kph+ club

• Drives: Diablo 6.0
All I think about when I see an early V8 is issues ... in my first 2 years...

12 new cats in 2 years (3 sets of 4)
2 new gearboxes (2nd gear kept shredding)
4 new clutches - 2 single plate, then 2 twin plate
new glass roof pins set and one new glass roof - lost at 160MPH
new set of bonnet clips which liked to pop up at 145mph
every service the engine/exhaust heat shield had to be welded back in place
1 full new engine - liners were porous and ended up drinking 4 litres of coolant every 200miles

The engine issues started to show up after 25,000miles.  After I had a huge 6 month legal battle with Chris Knight in late 1999, in early 2000, they issued a recall notice for all the engine liners on the V8s.  You need to ask if this work was performed on this car.

And mine was the 2nd v8 delivered to London Lotus as a demonstrator in 1996.  To be fair ... most of the minor issues (not those listed above) were due to sh*t service staff at London Lotus.  The car even came back to me after having a new clutch put in with curry stains on the passenger seat.  I never ate anything in the car ... man was I furious.

I believe all these issues were ironed out in the later cars.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
You really must love Lotus to put up with all that crap.

Offline diabloinoz

• 300kph+ club

• Drives: Diablo 6.0
You really must love Lotus to put up with all that crap.
I did ... and it was still the best handling car ... although I love the solid unbreakable feel of the Diablo more!!

The main issue was they built this lovely new V8 engine ... which was light, powerful and detuned (naturally ran over 500HP but they had to detune it to accommodate US California emmissions rules), and therein lay the problems.

But the original gearbox was a Renault 21 ... not capable of handling the new engine power ... then they put a Renault 25 Turbo gearbox in.  The clutch was eventually replaced with the Twin Plate AP Racing ... and that ended up working fine.

It essentially was a high grade kit car with drop dead gorgeous looks ... and superb power and handling. 

Reliability was secondary.

I would get another ... but I would get a 2000 onwards V8.

Offline Hawkeye

But the original gearbox was a Renault 21 ... not capable of handling the new engine power ... then they put a Renault 25 Turbo gearbox in.  The clutch was eventually replaced with the Twin Plate AP Racing ... and that ended up working fine.

Does anyone know the models / year that got the Renault 25 Turbo gearbox and the Twin Plate AP clutch?