Offline diabloinoz

• 300kph+ club

I believe it was the 1998 onwards ... they changed the wheels and the rear wing style and location.  The rear wing is mounted to the engine cover instead of the rear bodywork and is within the limits of the rear bumper, it was done because they changed the UK design rules at the time to say that no body part could extend beyond the rear bumper.

The S4S and the early V8s all have the beautiful smooth rear wing that blends into the rear bodywork and hangs out behind the rear bumper.

But confirm with any car you look at anyway, just to make sure.

Offline Hawkeye

I believe it was the 1998 onwards ... they changed the wheels and the rear wing style and location.  The rear wing is mounted to the engine cover instead of the rear bodywork and is within the limits of the rear bumper, it was done because they changed the UK design rules at the time to say that no body part could extend beyond the rear bumper.

The S4S and the early V8s all have the beautiful smooth rear wing that blends into the rear bodywork and hangs out behind the rear bumper.

But confirm with any car you look at anyway, just to make sure.

Thanks for the info. So I'm guessing the Turbo 25 transmission is fairly robust? I'm definitely going to go for the s4s style rear wing - not so keen on the later version. Are these fairly easy to source or as rare as rocking horse poop?

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Thanks for the info. So I'm guessing the Turbo 25 transmission is fairly robust? I'm definitely going to go for the s4s style rear wing - not so keen on the later version. Are these fairly easy to source or as rare as rocking horse poop?

Rocking Horse Poop will be easier to get hold of, the later V8 wings(98 on) are still available but the S4s wing isn't.  Second hand may be the only option, unless Andecorp knows of something.............

Offline diabloinoz

• 300kph+ club

I haven't got a clue ... andecorp can probably answer that a bit better ...

I also prefer that styling, but with the upgrades to fix all the problems noted above coming in the 1998 onwards cars ... it's a no brainer to go for the later car, then maybe try to source an early model wing ... rather than buy the first gen v8 and try to fix everything, just for the look of the wing.

Also, to be fair to the car ... it never really let me down on the road ... never had to trailer it anywhere ... and was a fantastic car to drive!  I believe the later cars are more refined.

Also, the later cars have the much improved interior ... a bit like the difference between an early diablo and a 6.0 ... curved dash instead of box .. more refined and just looks like a proper car inside rather than a kit interior.

Without doubt, I would go for a late year ... BUT ... you pay for it too!!

Maybe try sourcing from the UK ... they were pretty cheap a while back and import rule changes will make it easier.

Offline BigD

but the S4s wing isn't.
Technically it is the Sports 300 rear wing they included on the S4s etc, right?

Plenty of upgrades anyway if you want to spend the cash to aftermarket strengthen stuff up or get some extra power:  http://freudhoefer.de/lotus/esprit/

Offline BigD

Offline BigD

Engine cover is paid yellow. This rings a bell from a discussion from another thread from ages ago.

Offline Condor Man

• Is it a Bird?? Well, sort of, Yes.... 300kph+ club
  • Plastic Surgeon

• Drives: A car
I find it funny how your guys buy Lotus's and then move on to Lambo's.

Hopefully one day you can get through the alphabet and get to P.

May the Horse be with you....

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
Probably this guy.

Owner: Michael Lee

STATE: NSW

MODEL: Lotus Esprit V8 MK1

VIN: SCC082918THAXXXXX

Vehicle History: One of the imports by Monarch and sold through
Barbagallos 28.8.1997. Liners have been done, twin clutch plate fitted,
turbos overhauled and in immaculate condition.

I'm assuming just the turbos are in immaculate condition...
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline David B

Yeah,  I posted about this car last week as I couldnt believe the price.

comments from those who know all the lotus's in Oz was not good ! (POS if I remember from Andecorp)

Anyway good luck!