Offline jackdaniel

Morning Guys,

I'm looking at buying a 1987 Esprit Turbo HCi, and I am investigating ownership costs.

Can anyone advise on a Lotus expert in Perth. Barb's is the only one I can find so far, and they are the new Lotus dealer, only interested in Elise/Exige/Europa. Im after someone who knows wat an Esprit is (especially a Giugiaro).

Also, I have done the expected LEW searches, but is there anything in particular to watch out for - advice????

Thanks

Jack

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
Morning Guys,

I'm looking at buying a 1987 Esprit Turbo HCi, and I am investigating ownership costs.

Can anyone advise on a Lotus expert in Perth. Barb's is the only one I can find so far, and they are the new Lotus dealer, only interested in Elise/Exige/Europa. Im after someone who knows wat an Esprit is (especially a Giugiaro).

Also, I have done the expected LEW searches, but is there anything in particular to watch out for - advice????

Thanks

Jack

Francois Lusser - Swiss Automotive Services in Mosman Park. Only one I'd trust to touch an Esprit.
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline Aedo

• Drives: Elise S2 111S
You can also contact the Perth owners through the LotusWA yahoo group at http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/LotusWA/ - we had four Esprits out on monday night :)

Offline LotusLee

• Drives: Lotus Esprit Turbo, Porsche 928 SE, 1948 GMC Pick-up, 1970 240Z
I wouldn't let Swiss Automotive Services touch my kids bike, my Esprit (88 Turbo) has just spent a year in their workshop, that's right, a whole year, and guess what, still not fixed, I've finally run out of patience listening to their BS excuses as to why they couldn't work on the car (we're moving premises, the mechanic working on your car had glandular fever, the boys had a heavy night and didn't rock up to work this morning, the mechanics looking at your car aren't the ones who need to look at that type of car!!! (WTF sort of comment is that!?), the owner is the one who needs to look at the car, but he's been ill -  WHAT, FOR A YEAR !

They did actually tell me at one point that it was the distributor causing the problem, so I bought a complete unit from the UK, they did fit that (or so I'm told, the car hasn't arrived back on at the time of writing so I don't know if that's true) but guess what, seems it wasn't the distributor after all because after fitting it, it still didn't work.

I did get one call from a mechanic (after fitting the new distributor) asking for permission to remove the alarm etc, I said yes, then nothing for over 6 months. The mechanic I spoke to actually admitted that the car had been pushed into the corner and ignored for months at a time!

They have called me back a total of 3 times over the year, despite me calling many many times asking for them to let me know what was going on.

Finally, after far too much incompetence to bear any further, I rang them, I was greeted by "Hi Lee, how are you (then a long pause before) I suppose you want to know what is happening about your car! he confirmed it wasn't running so I responded by saying I was sending a truck in to pick it up as it had been with them for over a year, I heard the normal apologies, apologies on behalf of the shop manager personally, an apology on behalf of the company etc, I was then asked if it would be possible for me to give them one more week, as they needed to refit some panels etc, where they had disconnected the alarn, I agreed to this not wanting to pick my car up with bits not fitted or missing.

So, after a week, I called them last night to let them know that the truck would be there today to collect the car, heard more excuses from Frank, I asked what could be so difficult to fix on an Esprit with a basic set up, ie carbs, no ECU etc, at which point Frank says, your car is an injection, and has ECU's and computers, thinking Swiss Automotive must have upgraded my car when I wasn't looking, I said no Frank, it's a carbie model, he responds "no it isn't" then I actually had to wait for him to walk across the workshop and inspect the car before he agreed that MY CAR was actually what I said it was, then to top it all off, the week I gave them to refit the bits of trim they needed to do, was a complete waste of time, because they hadn't done it as of last night!, Swiss Automotive (now of Hamilton Hill), I wouldn't even trust them to wash my car !!

So if anyone knows someone who can help me here in Perth, please get in touch, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Itching to get the car going for the first time in well over a year!

Regards

Lee

Offline andecorp

I wouldn't let Swiss Automotive Services touch my kids bike, my Esprit (88 Turbo) has just spent a year in their workshop, that's right, a whole year, and guess what, still not fixed, I've finally run out of patience listening to their BS excuses as to why they couldn't work on the car (we're moving premises, the mechanic working on your car had glandular fever, the boys had a heavy night and didn't rock up to work this morning, the mechanics looking at your car aren't the ones who need to look at that type of car!!! (WTF sort of comment is that!?), the owner is the one who needs to look at the car, but he's been ill -  WHAT, FOR A YEAR !

They did actually tell me at one point that it was the distributor causing the problem, so I bought a complete unit from the UK, they did fit that (or so I'm told, the car hasn't arrived back on at the time of writing so I don't know if that's true) but guess what, seems it wasn't the distributor after all because after fitting it, it still didn't work.

I did get one call from a mechanic (after fitting the new distributor) asking for permission to remove the alarm etc, I said yes, then nothing for over 6 months. The mechanic I spoke to actually admitted that the car had been pushed into the corner and ignored for months at a time!

They have called me back a total of 3 times over the year, despite me calling many many times asking for them to let me know what was going on.

Finally, after far too much incompetence to bear any further, I rang them, I was greeted by "Hi Lee, how are you (then a long pause before) I suppose you want to know what is happening about your car! he confirmed it wasn't running so I responded by saying I was sending a truck in to pick it up as it had been with them for over a year, I heard the normal apologies, apologies on behalf of the shop manager personally, an apology on behalf of the company etc, I was then asked if it would be possible for me to give them one more week, as they needed to refit some panels etc, where they had disconnected the alarn, I agreed to this not wanting to pick my car up with bits not fitted or missing.

So, after a week, I called them last night to let them know that the truck would be there today to collect the car, heard more excuses from Frank, I asked what could be so difficult to fix on an Esprit with a basic set up, ie carbs, no ECU etc, at which point Frank says, your car is an injection, and has ECU's and computers, thinking Swiss Automotive must have upgraded my car when I wasn't looking, I said no Frank, it's a carbie model, he responds "no it isn't" then I actually had to wait for him to walk across the workshop and inspect the car before he agreed that MY CAR was actually what I said it was, then to top it all off, the week I gave them to refit the bits of trim they needed to do, was a complete waste of time, because they hadn't done it as of last night!, Swiss Automotive (now of Hamilton Hill), I wouldn't even trust them to wash my car !!

So if anyone knows someone who can help me here in Perth, please get in touch, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Itching to get the car going for the first time in well over a year!

Regards

Lee
You do realise that Francois, who owned Swiss Auto, who was the Lotus/Lambo/Ferrari/Maserati trained mechanic and who was the head mechanic at Barbagallo Ferrari/Lambo/Maserati/Lotus for years, sold the business years ago?

Sounds like the new owners are promoting their services on Francois' reputation.

Offline LotusLee

You do realise that Francois, who owned Swiss Auto, who was the Lotus/Lambo/Ferrari/Maserati trained mechanic and who was the head mechanic at Barbagallo Ferrari/Lambo/Maserati/Lotus for years, sold the business years ago?

Sounds like the new owners are promoting their services on Francois' reputation.

Yes, I knew he wasn't the owner of the business anymore, but when I spoke to them initially, and went to their workshop when it was in Mosman Park, there were quite a few high end motors there and a Maserati Merak, so figured they were the right people to trust my car to. I don't suppose Francois is still working in WA is he?

Offline andecorp

I don't suppose Francois is still working in WA is he?
Yes he is, but he just left on Tuesday for a long holiday in Switzerland. He'll be back in October.

Offline LotusLee

Yes he is, but he just left on Tuesday for a long holiday in Switzerland. He'll be back in October.

Crap, how's that for timing !

Well, I've waited this long, what's another few months! (unless you are going to tell me he's retired or something!)

Would be grateful if you could provide details of where he works and a contact number if you have it, at least if he is still in the business, I can at least see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks

Offline andecorp

Well, I've waited this long, what's another few months! (unless you are going to tell me he's retired or something!)

Would be grateful if you could provide details of where he works and a contact number if you have it, at least if he is still in the business, I can at least see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks
I see him almost weekly. Our kids are friends and he still looks after one of my cars. He's taken this as a last chance holiday as his boy starts school next year.

He is just enjoying fatherhood and fixes cars as a hobby, by referral only. He has a fully set up workshop at his house in Wilson.

Offline LotusLee

Thanks
I see him almost weekly. Our kids are friends and he still looks after one of my cars. He's taken this as a last chance holiday as his boy starts school next year.

He is just enjoying fatherhood and fixes cars as a hobby, by referral only. He has a fully set up workshop at his house in Wilson.

Well I would rather leave my car as a non runner for a few more months than take a chance with someone else (just wasted $400 trucking it to Swiss Automotive and back)
I would be grateful if you could speak with Francois on his return from Switzerland, and ask if he would agree to look at my car.
I will touch base with you in October if that's ok.
Thanks for your responses to my original post, much appreciated.
Cheers
Lee