Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

:?

Photos of a Lotus mule dressed in Exige clothing have surfaced. The car's appearance has sparked new rumours about what exactly it could be. Some believe the mule is being used to test a new powertrain for the upcoming Esprit. Reports have said the new Esprit will be powered either by a BMW or a Toyota-sourced V8. The Evora's 3.5-litre V6 from Toyota has also been touted as a possibility. The Esprit would appear on the streets by 2011.

Another body of thought refutes these claims saying the mule's engine body is too small to accommodate a V8 block. This school of sentiment reckons it's actually a prototype for the new Elise/ Exige models. The Elise Series 2 has been in production since 2002 while its Exige Series 2 sibling began production life in 2004. Both are powered by a 1.8-litre Toyota engine with model-dependant power figures.

More details will be forthcoming as the car gathers test kilometres and wears its real skin.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/109120223338/mystery-lotus-mule-hides-new-eliseexige-or-esprit

Offline ACP

• Lives in a Metro Tangerine

• Drives: McLaren
Lotus has to substitute the Toyota 2ZZGE engine (Euro 4) for a newer one prior to 1st January 2011.

The table claims that light commercial vehicles (<1,305 kg) have to comply with Euro 5 standards from September 2009 on. New vehicles already in production get a prolongation until 2011 at the latest.

So I reckon it must be the new Elise/Exige. Would be too small for the Esprit and they would probably use the Evora platform and of course if it was the supercharged Evora then I guessing they'd use the Evora for that too.  :eek:

Offline cjay

my vote is for the new elise/exige, the new esprit will be larger  :cool:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
As for what it could be - I don't see why they'd use the Elise/Exige chassis for any "new" mule testing, if you read about the Evora's chassis you'll see it's the way forward for a lot of new cars to come.

All the random Lotus/bogan chat moved here:
http://aussieexotics.com/forum/lotus/random-lotus-chat-bs-thread-t4853.0.html;msg82288#msg82288