Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I'll have to try driving an Esprit, you're doing a good sell on em!

I haven't driven a heap of great cars - just enough to form an OK opinion though, and pax'd hard in way more than enough to know what feels "right".  If there were to be a benchmark to exotic sports car, mid-90's Esprit would be my pick, that car feels... right.  Not far behind is NSX, both have similar price point, if I were stretched and needed reliability/practicality I'd choose the NSX, but that's mostly based on web opinions.  I can only imagine F355 is close to on-par, but never been in one to comment intelligently - I can however say that it's predecessor the 348 is woefully inept in comparison, better suited to comparing against Esprit from '76 - even then I doubt it would fare favourably.

You picked it man on viper visibility, the bonnet is loooooooooooooong and it takes a bit to get used to it after jumping out of the other cars - though you get used to it pretty quickly once behind the wheel. Gotta remember the weight though - it's easy to be going a lot quicker into a corner than you realise, with a lot of car to try and slow down if you overbake it!

Hehe - sounds about what I was thinking. :p  Awesome fun though by the sound of it!

Online andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
I can only imagine F355 is close to on-par, but never been in one to comment intelligently - I can however say that it's predecessor the 348 is woefully inept in comparison

Driving postion/comfort is the same in the F355 as in the 348. The interiors are basically identical (almost).
The F355 runs circles around the 348 though, but the Esprit runs circles around the F355.
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Online andecorp

I'll have to try driving an Esprit, you're doing a good sell on em!

Depends on the model and they are old enough now that it's hard to find genuine, correct cars without any history of abuse.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Depends on the model and they are old enough now that it's hard to find genuine, correct cars without any history of abuse.

So, what is the ultimate esprit then?

year, model, mileage, spec, colour?

Online andecorp

So, what is the ultimate esprit then?

year, model, mileage, spec, colour?

S4s, Euro/UK/Aust spec ( Definetely NOT US spec S4s). As is - fully loaded anyway.

1994 (1 built - prototype)
1995 (don't have the exact number as only total number known, inclusive of US spec)
1996 (30 built)
1997 (5 built)
Even declared by the Lotus factory techs as the best Esprit they ever built. That's why I bought 2 of them and I so regret selling one.

As came from factory - 300bhp, 0-100 in 4.2sec, 1/4mile in 12.8sec, top speed 265kph.

You can get these bits from Lotus Sport and do what I did to mine - #6 Red Race Chip, high flow exhaust, larger secondary injectors, K&N, longer top gear. Result:
361bhp, 0-100 in 4sec, 1/4mile in 12.2sec, top speed 307kph - all GPS confirmed.
The race cars were pulling 480bhp in race mode, 550bhp in qualifying mode.

This was the Esprit that Lotus made to show the world what they were capable of before they introduced the V8. The V8 (in all it's forms) never matched it.

16 in Aust - 6 red, 2 black (one was mine), 1 mustard yellow (mine), 1 pearl yellow, 1 ruby red, 1 british racing green, 1 azure blue (totalled), 1 nautilus blue, 2 aluminium silver

Lots of 'fake' S4s's around though. All the US cars were actually just standard S4 cars with the S4s wing and interior. Nothing else.
Australian importer brought in 6 GT3 cars (the way bottom of the barell Esprit), put S4s wing and wheels on them so from outside at a quick glance they look just like an S4s, and called them GT3s.

If you want for track, then the Sport 300 (64 built, 3 in Aust) is considered the ultimate, with the XK180r racer the holy grail. They are both road registrable, but not friendly.

Mileage - it comes down to the usual - garage queen or well maintained driver.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Amazing that nearly 50% of these cars came to Oz!  Am I reading that right?

Online andecorp

Amazing that nearly 50% of these cars came to Oz!  Am I reading that right?

You didn't include the 1995 built cars. All up in all the years about 100 are believed to have been built. The 1995 US S4s skews the figures as about 300 or so of those were built.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Ah figgered I was missing something - didn't see a total listed and forgot to include '95

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
S4s, Euro/UK/Aust spec ( Definetely NOT US spec S4s). As is - fully loaded anyway.

1994 (1 built - prototype)
1995 (don't have the exact number as only total number known, inclusive of US spec)
1996 (30 built)
1997 (5 built)
Even declared by the Lotus factory techs as the best Esprit they ever built. That's why I bought 2 of them and I so regret selling one.

As came from factory - 300bhp, 0-100 in 4.2sec, 1/4mile in 12.8sec, top speed 265kph.

You can get these bits from Lotus Sport and do what I did to mine - #6 Red Race Chip, high flow exhaust, larger secondary injectors, K&N, longer top gear. Result:
361bhp, 0-100 in 4sec, 1/4mile in 12.2sec, top speed 307kph - all GPS confirmed.
The race cars were pulling 480bhp in race mode, 550bhp in qualifying mode.

This was the Esprit that Lotus made to show the world what they were capable of before they introduced the V8. The V8 (in all it's forms) never matched it.

16 in Aust - 6 red, 2 black (one was mine), 1 mustard yellow (mine), 1 pearl yellow, 1 ruby red, 1 british racing green, 1 azure blue (totalled), 1 nautilus blue, 2 aluminium silver

Lots of 'fake' S4s's around though. All the US cars were actually just standard S4 cars with the S4s wing and interior. Nothing else.
Australian importer brought in 6 GT3 cars (the way bottom of the barell Esprit), put S4s wing and wheels on them so from outside at a quick glance they look just like an S4s, and called them GT3s.

If you want for track, then the Sport 300 (64 built, 3 in Aust) is considered the ultimate, with the XK180r racer the holy grail. They are both road registrable, but not friendly.

Mileage - it comes down to the usual - garage queen or well maintained driver.

Then it's an XK180R for me.... a road registerable racer... thats the POINT Mr Chapman  :thumbsup:

Lotus, for me, has got to be extreme to be appealing. Otherwise the reputation has simply got too much stick, unfairly I know... but thats the way I hear it.

Online andecorp

I forgot to mention, the last 15 Final Edition V8's built in 2004 are really special too. They are the ultimate V8s. One is here in Aust as a private import. For sale at the moment. I'd buy it in an instant if I really didn't hate the colour scheme of this particular one.