Offline Shootta

Hi all -

I've been reading these forums for a while, last year a finally got myself a 2004 Maerrati Coupe' (90th Anniversary Edition), and love her like a volatile Italian mistress.

Shes been treating me well so far, with a new alternator being the only real repair to date. Though, on a recent service they've told me the catalytic converter is starting to break down and I'd be looking at about $6k minimum for replacement.

1) Is the $6k price tag reasonable?
2) Are re-conditioned catalytic converters availible/recommended?
3) Are there other options?

Really appreciate any feedback anyone may have.

Cheers.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
Is that $6k for both catalytic converters or for one?

If that quote is for both then I found ones a little cheaper, if it is for one then I found them a lot cheaper.
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline Paulstar

If that quote is for both then I found ones a little cheaper, if it is for one then I found them a lot cheaper.

Hey W, you're a bit techy with the cars you own so I'll ask you, why are these catalytic convertors so much more expensive than regular car cats?  :)

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

Hey W, you're a bit techy with the cars you own so I'll ask you, why are these catalytic convertors so much more expensive than regular car cats?  :)

Don't know for sure but probably for a number of reasons,

these cars are/were expensive to buy so naturally parts reflect that.

The dealers in Australia try to protect their market.

People for some reason trust the dealers and just accept the over inflated price.

Some parts can not be duplicated by another parts make for one reason or another (legalities or technical side)

And most importantly because they know that they can sell them at stupid prices and people will have mo choice.

I'm sure Phill would have other reasons why???

Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

2) Are re-conditioned catalytic converters availible/recommended?
3) Are there other options?

Cheers.

As far as I'm aware there are no reconditioned cats. I could be wrong though but o have never come across them for any car (I am not a mechanic though).

As for other options, has the dashboard come up with any faults saying "slow down" or anything else? Has the car gone into limp mode?

If not I wouldn't bother doing anything about replacing the cats. Maserati being what it is, I'm sure the car will tell you if the cats need to be changed, only thing maserati gets right is the fault system. My car even goes into limp mode when the battery is nearing the end of it's life.

I'm sure Ferrari fixer will point you in the right direction.

What state are you in?
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline dkabab

Offline adam01

get a custom exhaust system done for 3k

Have read on another forum if the cats (being ceramic) break up, fragments may get sucked back into the engine under certain conditions - in which case not doing anything may be even more expensive

Try contacting one of the exhaust advertisers on this forum for alternate aftermarket products

Offline Paulstar

get a custom exhaust system done for 3k

+1 unless there is some whiz bang sensorific module embedded into the ceramic elements of the cat convertor I don't see why a custom one wouldn't do the job just as well. Or even an off the shelf one that fits in the required space. IIRC back in the day when Jap imports first started getting tuned here a cbang for buck mod was to put a GTR cat onto a non GTR skyline for more flow.

Offline Shootta

Seems the wear was only in one, but the written quote is for replacement of both ($6, 800 is the final quoted figure). I'll need to ask them some more details tomorrow. Thanks for the help so far.

Offline Shootta

As far as I'm aware there are no reconditioned cats. I could be wrong though but o have never come across them for any car (I am not a mechanic though).

As for other options, has the dashboard come up with any faults saying "slow down" or anything else? Has the car gone into limp mode?

If not I wouldn't bother doing anything about replacing the cats. Maserati being what it is, I'm sure the car will tell you if the cats need to be changed, only thing maserati gets right is the fault system. My car even goes into limp mode when the battery is nearing the end of it's life.

I'm sure Ferrari fixer will point you in the right direction.

What state are you in?

Cheers, yeah, the emission control fault light has been flashing on intermittently over the last few months, but this time has stayed on a few days straight, but is driving as normal.

Im in Sydney, they showed me the photos of the cat decay just then, which wern't looking to pretty with the honeycomb starting to discolour across about a 1/3 of the face and ever breaking away in very small sections. Looks like the wallet will be coming out soon, but it's just a question of when and how much!

I'll question if it's both or just the one.