how much do these things cost anyway?

$2,500 .......for software, not a bad business to be in :thumbsup:

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
$2,500 .......for software, not a bad business to be in :thumbsup:

Not that good, i'd imagine it is a very limmited market.

For a little more money I would just go and get it properly dyno tuned, too many variables, and lets face it, you want the most out of a performance car. Having said that there would be a few cars that are similar to the original cars that were used to develop the software settings and this could be just as good as a custom tune anyway.... for a minority of cars. And I guess some people are happy with good enough and don't need a perfect job. I wouldn't be using the companies dyno to test before and after results, it's only a click of the mouse to change the dyno results, even while viewing it live. Even different times of the day with different humidity and air temps would benefit the chips results. Get the car dynoed first thing in the morning when it's cold and humid, install the tune, re dyno the new tune later in the day when humidity has dropped and air temp is around 20degrees.... you would get a 3kw gain even without the tune lol, even more difference if it was a turbo car.

Up to you dodger, guess you can try it and if you don't like it then take it out, what have you got to loose?
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Theres another negative, the software could easily be overwritten during a service.

Might try it out though as long as they don't stuff anything else while they're at it, I think your other idea is smarter. :thumbsup:

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Theres another negative, the software could easily be overwritten during a service.

NO it couldn't. The dealer have no idea how to do it, nor do they have the equipment. They couldn't even read any of the differences except rev limit if it were changed.

Just remember about the gains... you WILL feel a difference in drivability due to mid range timing and throttle map improvements, but peak figures won't change dramatically, if at all.

The dyno numbers are not 100% reliable either, as even Kujotk own tests were flawed... remember he gained ~20 bhp at IDLE according to the dyno  :rolleyes: (sure someone can find the thread)

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

• Soap Dodger

So.........?

I have to say I doubt you're the type of customer/type of use that will feel/appreciate the ECU flash.... by your own admission most of the driving you do is with a cold car/to the shops....

BUT, Wayno becranky will jump down my throat if I talk you out of it, so give it a go and see if you like it... WHYGTL?

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Took my sons Commodore to do the running around today.
It.s finally sunk in just how stupid it was to try to use the Masa the way I have been using it.
The Commodore was a dream, if I don't sell the Masa I will definitely get a Commodore for the running around, the Masa would then be my hobby so I can play around with stuff like the chip. and perhaps let Mario loose on it.
My son goes to Europe for 3 months at the end of July so I'll use his car  and when he gets back I'll make a move because I just can't use the Masa for running around any more.

• Soap Dodger

Early generation F1, like your, is just crap in traffic

You need full auto.

get a QP.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Must take one for a spin but I imagine one sedan is much the same as the next, the QP has the same motor as mine but is slower of course, if I went sedan it would be E500 or M3 or C63

I don't think the 4200 is supposed to be nice in traffic but it makes me smile when I get the odd opportunity to put the foot down.

The Grand Sport would be very tame in traffic if the one I just tried out is typical.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Met a guy at Zagames who takes his QP in for a wash every week he loves it, so I'll try one out so I know what all the fuss is about.