Offline jebjeb

Basic rules for a personal import fom the UK.

<snip>

Good stuff. So if I want to make my life easier and not take so much of a hit when it comes times to sell it in Australia, go for something rare.

I've not been able to see the exact requirements to get a PI registered. I've seen the basic list regarding seatbelts etc but what about something that may be a bit unusual like a Xbow or Ariel Atom? Will I be able to get it registered?

Funny you guys mention the Bentley. When I first came over, I considered doing the PI thing when I was only intending to be over here for a couple of years and was looking at the Turbo R back then! Not really something I want to drive now or in Australia though.

As this might be getting a bit off topic specifically on the GranTurismo, let me know of I have to ask to get this thread moved.

Offline jebjeb

Bring this in and I'll buy it off you at a profit:
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/jaguar/xj220/jaguar-xj220-rhd-delivery-mileage/351867

I saw one of the development mules for sale recently. Very nice but not sure I can stretch that far ;)

Offline ferrarista2

• Drives: Slowly
I saw one of the development mules for sale recently. Very nice but not sure I can stretch that far ;)
I'll buy a noble off you.....thanks
Everything looks better in carbon fibre

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com

Read between the lines.

Offline jebjeb

Read between the lines.

Must be too long in Pommie land as I don't see where you're coming from.

Are you saying only true exotics at very high prices are worth anything beyond personal enjoyment in bringing to Australia?

Offline jebjeb

I'll buy a noble off you.....thanks

They are pretty sweet. I had a ride in a GTO 3R at a trackday I was on once. Pretty epic performance for the cost.

Offline Uwish_ttz

Bring in a Porsche 997.2 911 Turbo PDK.
They are cheap over there and still worth $$$ here.
A few mods and they are unbeatable on the streets.

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
ill just echo the sentiments above, its only worth bringing in something that is in limited supply here or doesnt exist here at all. 

my suggestions would be (based on not having bottomless pockets)

Renault Clio V6 255
Lotus 2 Eleven Road Registered
Lotus 340R
KTM Xbow
Morgan 3 wheeler
Noble (as mentioned above)
TVR Sagaris

but the caveat still applies that you'd have to wait for that 1 buyer who wants that interesting car

but a couple of those i'd be very tempted myself if someone had one for sale at fair money.

Offline jebjeb

I've been doing a lot or research on the regs as well as contacting a number of compliance and importation companies across Australia.

I know the sagas that have gone on with the Ariel Atom or KTM X-Bow getting officially compliant but I'm wondering with the exceptions to most if ADRs grants by bringing it in as a personal import, if there will be any problems getting it registered. The only ADRs that apply are basically seatbelts and mounting points. My first concern is that an Atom or a X-bow only have four point harnesses and no retracting lap-sash belts.

After the exceptions to ADRs, it is "just" the standard blue slip (NSW) or equivalent in other states to get it rego'ed.

Need to do further research before taking the plunge. My two worst case scenarios are;

- in a year's time I find I can't get in imported or registered I Australia so I sell it here in the UK before I return to Australia. Atom's have great resale here so I would have a cheap year's use of an awesome car but miss out on taking something back to Australia.
- I bring it back to Australia, pay all taxes and duties but find I can't register it. Then I have an expensive track only car but will still be fun an I imagine it would sill have some value if I wanted to sell it on due to their rarity in Australia.

So not too bad in the worst cases.

Hopefully, I can get it in the country (that part should be ok) and I can get it registered!

Any help or suggestions appreciated!

Jeb

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
ill just echo the sentiments above, its only worth bringing in something that is in limited supply here or doesnt exist here at all. 

my suggestions would be (based on not having bottomless pockets)

Renault Clio V6 255
Lotus 2 Eleven Road Registered
Lotus 340R
KTM Xbow
Morgan 3 wheeler
Noble (as mentioned above)
TVR Sagaris

but the caveat still applies that you'd have to wait for that 1 buyer who wants that interesting car

but a couple of those i'd be very tempted myself if someone had one for sale at fair money.

Reckon the XBow could be road registered here? You could pick one up now on pistonheads for 35K GBP and import as a track car ... but having it able to be driven on the road legally would be epic.

@JebJeb - if it wasn't road registerable, I think your chances of selling here in Oz as a trackcar are pretty crap unless you dump it for very low dollars ... so not work importing.
C'mon, do it!