Offline jebjeb

Reckon the XBow could be road registered here? You could pick one up now on pistonheads for 35K GBP and import as a track car ... but having it able to be driven on the road legally would be epic.

@JebJeb - if it wasn't road registerable, I think your chances of selling here in Oz as a trackcar are pretty crap unless you dump it for very low dollars ... so not work importing.

Either car would be amazon to have registere on road. Especially as (depending on why happens in the next 15 months before I would get it into Australia) it may be the only road registered example in Australia!

I guess it depends on what I could get for it if I needed the money but couldn't get it registered. It would owe me at least $70k so would want to get around that at least. If it was road registered, I would do my best to keep it but if needs must, would be looking for a good price.

Offline jebjeb

Just a quick one; I can't see any difference in taxation (GST, LCT etc) for personal imports regardless if it is intended to be road registered or not. Is that correct?

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Just a quick one; I can't see any difference in taxation (GST, LCT etc) for personal imports regardless if it is intended to be road registered or not. Is that correct?

From the ATO doco....

A luxury car is a car with a GST-inclusive value above the LCT threshold.
Under LCT law, a car is a motor powered road vehicle that is designed to carry the following:
   a load of less than two tonnes
   less than nine passengers.
It includes:
   passenger cars
   station wagons
   four-wheel drive vehicles
   limousines - regardless of the number of passengers they are designed to carry.
The term 'car' does not include:
   trucks and vans designed to carry a load of more than two tonnes
   vehicles, such as buses, designed to carry nine or more passengers
   motorcycles or similar vehicles
   racing and rally cars that are not road vehicles and cannot be registered for use on public roads in any country in the world. These racing or rally cars are designed for use only on rally or racing circuits.

Offline jebjeb

Cheers. GST is the big hit which applies to anything. My calculation make it likely there would be little to no LCT on an Atom or X-Bow so it shouldn't (famous last words!) be an issue.

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
Either car would be amazon to have registere on road. Especially as (depending on why happens in the next 15 months before I would get it into Australia) it may be the only road registered example in Australia!

I guess it depends on what I could get for it if I needed the money but couldn't get it registered. It would owe me at least $70k so would want to get around that at least. If it was road registered, I would do my best to keep it but if needs must, would be looking for a good price.

I think you'd be dreaming at $70 for a non-registered XBow.

I just wasted 4 months of my life trying to sell one of the very, very few Westfield XTR's in Australia (which are road registerable there) - and pretty much gave it away. One million tyre kickers, no one with cash.

Xbow would be in the same boat for sure.
C'mon, do it!

Offline jebjeb

That's what I'm trying to get a feel for. I don't know the Aussie market anymore and it is tough one anyway with the rarity of what I'm looking at. It really hinges on getting whatever I bring over road registered.

I have it narrowed down to;

- Ariel Atom 3 300
- Ariel Atom 3 245
- Lotus 2 Eleven supercharged
- KTM X-Bow

That's pretty much the order of my preference too. Given that there is a bunch of Elises and Exiges registered, I am confident that one (with the UK road pack) could be rego'ed easily enough.

The Atom could be interesting given the previous history with the official compliance work etc. Unless I find a super helpful person who knows the details on here, I will get a pre-compliance report done from one if the import compliance guys which should give me some confidence.

Does anyone know if there are any if the above registered in Australia (except for the destroyed and rebuilt "Atom" in Victoria)? Guesses at the value of one if the above it I did get it registered? I'm starting to get some pressure from my wife to ensure that whatever you I take back wil still be worth something. Fair call really.

Offline Joel

That's what I'm trying to get a feel for. I don't know the Aussie market anymore and it is tough one anyway with the rarity of what I'm looking at. It really hinges on getting whatever I bring over road registered.

- Ariel Atom 3 300
- Ariel Atom 3 245
- KTM X-Bow

That's pretty much the order of my preference too. Given that there is a bunch of Elises and Exiges registered, I am confident that one (with the UK road pack) could be rego'ed easily enough.

The Atom could be interesting given the previous history with the official compliance work etc. Unless I find a super helpful person who knows the details on here, I will get a pre-compliance report done from one if the import compliance guys which should give me some confidence.

Does anyone know if there are any if the above registered in Australia (except for the destroyed and rebuilt "Atom" in Victoria)? Guesses at the value of one if the above it I did get it registered? I'm starting to get some pressure from my wife to ensure that whatever you I take back wil still be worth something. Fair call really.

Im chiming in here and haven't read the whole thread but why don't you save the money and just buy something here. After all the pain of either trying to comply it or sell it you may as well just get something here. Or buy something that is easy to register and bring it here, drive the guts out of it and then sell it?

Offline jebjeb

Im chiming in here and haven't read the whole thread but why don't you save the money and just buy something here. After all the pain of either trying to comply it or sell it you may as well just get something here. Or buy something that is easy to register and bring it here, drive the guts out of it and then sell it?

That's a good question. I want something here in the UK for the next year so I can have a bit of fun. There are some great roads here as well as over on the continent. It would be great to do a trip to Lemans or Spa-Francorchamps in it.

What I'm trying to work out is do I get whatever I want here and then just sell it before I go back to Australia or bring it over and enjoy or sell it there. If there is some money to be made by bringing something rare in then all the better!

Going on your last point, I suppose to make life easier, I could just get a Lotus Exige or Caterham R500 which have all been registered in Australia before. I'm still not sure if I would get back what they owe me though when it can time to sell.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
That's a good question. I want something here in the UK for the next year so I can have a bit of fun. There are some great roads here as well as over on the continent. It would be great to do a trip to Lemans or Spa-Francorchamps in it.

What I'm trying to work out is do I get whatever I want here and then just sell it before I go back to Australia or bring it over and enjoy or sell it there. If there is some money to be made by bringing something rare in then all the better!

Going on your last point, I suppose to make life easier, I could just get a Lotus Exige or Caterham R500 which have all been registered in Australia before. I'm still not sure if I would get back what they owe me though when it can time to sell.

Bingo...

winner...

Quality car, excellent pedigree and too hard/expensive here...

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

- Ariel Atom 3 300
- Ariel Atom 3 245
- KTM X-Bow

I've not seen any of the above 'properly' registered in NSW - though there have been a sightings of each at track days, off trailers.

There have been a couple of 211's (track only) for sale - one by a regular at some of the track days we go to - haven't shifted at $70K.

C'mon, do it!