Offline rich_1979

Hi - just after some general advice for buying my first Maserati. Having owned a couple of Lotus Elises back in the UK I have only driven the family car and pickup since moving here in 2007 and decided it's time to get back into something a little more "fun".

What are the general thoughts on going the import or Australian delivered routes? Does it actually save any money because it seems there are actually more cars for sale in Australia than in the UK at the moment.

Also wondered about the reputation of places that seem to have the cars in occasionally in Victoria (Sports Leisure Vehicles, Parkline Motors etc). Finally I have spoken with a dealer about a car but it has no service history (also no manuals etc) and I assume this would be a no-go no matter what the asking price is?

Any advice for my search or links to existing threads with this information would be much appreciated (I did search for them but didn't find anything specific).

Rich

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
Buy locally, it isnt worth importing yourself now, maseratis in australia are now selling cheaper than you can import it now.
imported or Australian delivered are same price now, generally same condition.

I've only heard negative things about SPorts leisure imports in Victoria but I've never personally had anything to do with them (I have seen a few years ago they imported a gallardo when they first started complying and for one car I was looking at in the uk somehow lost a lot of mileage somewhere between the uk and Australia).

You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

I was looking at in the uk somehow lost a lot of mileage somewhere between the uk and Australia).
Maybe they drove it in reverse to get it here?

Offline racecomp

• Carbon Fiber Gimp

• Name: Steve
Hi - just after some general advice for buying my first Maserati. Having owned a couple of Lotus Elises back in the UK I have only driven the family car and pickup since moving here in 2007 and decided it's time to get back into something a little more "fun".

What are the general thoughts on going the import or Australian delivered routes? Does it actually save any money because it seems there are actually more cars for sale in Australia than in the UK at the moment.

Also wondered about the reputation of places that seem to have the cars in occasionally in Victoria (Sports Leisure Vehicles, Parkline Motors etc). Finally I have spoken with a dealer about a car but it has no service history (also no manuals etc) and I assume this would be a no-go no matter what the asking price is?

Any advice for my search or links to existing threads with this information would be much appreciated (I did search for them but didn't find anything specific).

Rich

Look for signs of water damage, it also sounds like itís had an hair cut with unknown starship mileage, how do you see it? It's still something that you can own if youíre comfortable with a chequered history?
A favourable report from somebody who knows what they are looking at regardless of its lack of history, if it drives and feels tight go for it. If the price is right buy it.

I donít mind high mileage if itís been on the road all its life, hard to kill a big motor that way.
If it holds a leak down test, no sign of ice coffee in or around the header tank and itís got a good oil report from the engine and gearbox via oil sampling lab thatís fine. You can get oil tested at most Caterpillar Dealers; I use Cavpower in Adelaide for my oil tests, you will amazed what oil can tell you, even if itís fresh.

Look for evidence of sill clamp rash, itís the first thing I look for on a vehicle and then check for paint.

Offline rich_1979

Thanks for the information everyone, I've decided not to pursue the car with no history, doesn't sit right for some reason. I'll just have to wait a bit longer until something comes up for sale in Australia that matches what I am after. Just one last question, did they ever sell the Spyder Grandsport in Australia? I've never seen one and friends in the UK say in the Coupe it makes a big difference spending a bit more on the Grandsport model?

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
The spiders have quite a lot of chassis flex. I looked at buying one new for the wife back in the day.
Would have bought the coupe instead as it was a much better car to drive. In the end I cancelled the order as I was having problems with the dealer on another car I owned.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
I was having problems with the dealer on another car I owned.

lol..understatement!!!

I love my car.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

lol..understatement!!!

Yup, I don't like being f'd around and it cost 'em big time with that cancelled order.

Offline rich_1979

Assuming I buy from either VIC or NSW can anyone recommend an independent mechanic who would provide a pre-purchase inspection? I guess with a relatively small market most of the dealers/mechanics will know the local cars (in that state) which I guess can be good and bad. (Eg having someone who has done work for the selling dealer/individual in the past).

I really want a Spyder in black with tan interior, but I am thinking I may be waiting a long time!  :-(

Rich

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

I really want a Spyder in black with tan interior, but I am thinking I may be waiting a long time!  :-(

Rich

Have you driven one yet ?