Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
I would never buy a 6 -12 year old Maserati

Isn't your 360 a 13 year old car??? Masserati/Ferrari basically the same thing underneath the styling....

Running costs of a Maserati is Fuck all if you have a good mechanic.
If someone is taking a $50k maserati to the dealer for maintenance then thats their bad luck.
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
Isn't your 360 a 13 year old car??? Masserati/Ferrari basically the same thing underneath the styling....

If someone is taking a $50k maserati to the dealer for maintenance then thats their bad luck.

So you think their reputation for being unreliable and expensive to maintain is exaggerated? The stories would scare me off ever buying one, not that I have any interest in doing so.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

So you think their reputation for being unreliable and expensive to maintain is exaggerated? The stories would scare me off ever buying one, not that I have any interest in doing so.

Worst thing that can happen is the clutch goes (I think) about $6k

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

To an extent,

But my shitter is a 3200 and all the work has already been done by previous owner.

Now these cars are old, been driven, what was going to go wrong has gone wrong and been repaired.

For example 3200 has a fault where the front end literally comes apart ( mine has been modified by Maserati Sydney when car was a few years old and it is bolted and welded back into place so it doesn't happen again),    This cars wiring loom has been completely replaced by previous owner for peace of mind that those errors don't ever come from shitty wiring,

The car costs me less than the merc to maintain and that is including having to rebuild a faulty throttle body   (sent to uk for contact less rebuild so it doesn't happen again).

If you buy a good old Maserati that has been looked after properly and repaired as it should then you shouldn't have any problems.   Can't say much for newer ones, they are probably riddled with faults until te problems emerge and it is repaired properly (repaired to eliminate the problem instead of merely replacing parts that are also faulty)

This is my personal experience of older maserati ownership, not Internet stories. Would I use it as a daily driver if I was worried that I'd get stranded??? I'd have traded it in already if it was a money pit. 4 years on and still going strong.
Infact I am waiting in the 3200 now in the city after having taken my fiancé to a job interview (2 hour peak hour drive).

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

Worst thing that can happen is the clutch goes (I think) about $6k

Shop around you can easily get half that for the 4200 installed.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

What I've come to realize is people on the net generally talk about their car on forums when there are problems with the car. When everything goes well most people don't have anything to say...

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
What I've come to realize is people on the net generally talk about their car on forums when there are problems with the car. When everything goes well most people don't have anything to say...

That's absolutely true. Another forum I'm on would scare the crap out of anyone buying this particular vehicle, but the reality is there are 20 people having problems out of the thousands of owners who have nothing to say.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

whats the story i here,these cars get to a certain amount of ks and go into limp mode ,requiring a clutch or similar change?

Offline ferrarista2

• Drives: Slowly

Big difference when you are talking 13 year old mazerati 3200 to a 13 year old 360.

What I meant to say is, I wouldn't, at this moment in time buy a 6-12 year old mazerati as a family car for $50k as the new European cars offer much more for similar money.

As for cost of running a Ferrari vs mazerati, how are the costs so much cheaper if they are basically the same car?
Last I saw, a 4200 had a clutch replaced for the same money as it would cost to replace one in a 430.
Everything looks better in carbon fibre

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

Big difference when you are talking 13 year old mazerati 3200 to a 13 year old 360.

What I meant to say is, I wouldn't, at this moment in time buy a 6-12 year old mazerati as a family car for $50k as the new European cars offer much more for similar money.

As for cost of running a Ferrari vs mazerati, how are the costs so much cheaper if they are basically the same car?
Last I saw, a 4200 had a clutch replaced for the same money as it would cost to replace one in a 430.

The 4200 and gransport are  basically the test car for the 430, same tranny extremely similar engine...

I never had a 4200 but I've had a 430 and never had a problem, I personally think Maserati gets a worse wrap than they should.