Offline Roddles

Does anyone know how many Khamsins were delivered into Aussie ?

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
http://www.maseraticlub.co.uk/trident25.htm
If no one else has a real figure if you read through that article you might be able to get an idea of a possible maximum number of cars that came here.  Probably between 2 and 5 cars.

Offline Roddles

Does anyone know how many Khamsins were sold in Australia and is anyone looking to unload one. Also the same for Urracos.
I sold mine and someone did a real hatchet job on it. Paint the only thing holding it together. Would be interested in buying either, So if anyone knows of one please let me know

Offline Roddles

I know of more than five but don't know what the real number is. It is the same in the UK there were only meant be nine but I have found 13 so far. I don't know who to ask. I am looking to buy one and am trying to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Offline Stingray69

• Drives: Magnum's car but grey
  • Name: Rennie
Hi Roddles,

Before I bought my Ferrari 308 Qv from the UK this July, I came close to buying a Khamsin and did ALOT of research-as far as I know, there is Graeme Whites car-a beautifully restored red Khamsin (and his user name on the F-chat website is au-yt. If you want to know everything about Khamsins, go to Ferrari Chat website and then go to the forum on Maserati Khamsins. Theres 130 pages already and you will find most of the information you need here.), a silver Khamsin in NSW with a chev motor, a dark blue car in Melbourne, the light metallic blue car(John Royces) in Qld and a gold/coper one in Victoria too. Thats the 5 I know off and I'm sure there are quite a few more. I've got the chassis numbers somewhere in my files but if you go the ferrari chat website, you will find it all there.
Another useful website is http://www.thecarnut.com/maseratimanuals.html
They have all the manuals for maseratis which you can readily download and they are very handy when you go to inspect one.
I hope this helps and good luck with the Khamsin-its my favourite Maserati of all time-if you really decide to get a Khamsin, try to buy the quarterly back issues of Supercar Classics from Spring 1983( Ferrari Daytona Spyder on the cover)  to Winter 1985 (Lancia Stratos on the cover). They did a restoration feature on a Khamsin in these magazines each quarter and the final result is an absolutely gorgeous Rosso Rubino (burgundy) Khamsin.
Check out this Khamsin below. Stunning!
http://local.usedcarsplus.com/classic-cars/03-use/maserati/330552611203.html
If you ain't living on the edge, then you're taking up too much space

Offline Roddles

Hi Stingray. I am very grateful for your reply. I owned and stupidly sold my Khamsin in 1986. I am aware of Graeme White's car an know of one car that hasn't been driven for eighteen years. Has done very, very few miles and another with 18,000 kms  on the clock. Backed up by full books. I was silly to sell mine but times were easier then. I have had a 308 GTB ( plastic ), brilliant car,,a 308 GT4, a 246 Dino spider , a Maserati Khamsin then an Indy and a Urraco. I then grew up and bought a few sensible cars, two carreras and a couple of Mercedes Sports. I am a little older now and thankfully am able to bask to in age and stupidity. Hence my seeking  another Khamsin or Urraco. However, I would appreciate any suggestions. Have found a  beautiful 928 with running in Kms only. Very tempting as is immaculate. Trouble is everything works, whereas in a Ferrari, indicating left got you the wipers or the air con if it was a Friday. Repeat thank you for your information, Kind regards Roddles

Offline Stingray69

• Drives: Magnum's car but grey
  • Name: Rennie
Hi Roddles,

I like 928's a lot and they are a much much underrated car nowadays even though in the 1970's and 1980's they were very highly regarded. Finding a good one is rare now but when you see a good one, its amazing just how good they look. The problem is that the Japanese copied the 928/924/944 template to the point where that shape became ubitquitous and hence less exotic. But L.J.K Setright did rate the Porsche 928 as the best car of the 1980's (and Jackie Stewart, no less, regarded the Porsche 928 GTS as the best exotic of the early nineties). 928's are certainly cerebral cars for cerebral minded people. And without question, the 928 is a far more capable car then either the Urraco or Khamsin and they were almost contemporaries but I know which one I would prefer, and it isn't the 928. But if you chose the 928, I would still say you made an excellent choice and lets face it, it makes me happy to know at least one 928 is being loved and preserved.
Personally, i would buy the car that you love most-you've certainly owned some of the best cars Ferrari, Lamborghini and Maserati have ever made. It seems that either the Khamsin or Urraco (as I recall, Mel Nichols, doyen of the "supercar" journalist of the 70's and early 80's absolutely loved the Urraco 3000-at the time rated it as his favourite exotic)  have left the strongest impression on you, so I would bide my time and when the right Maserati or Urraco comes up for sale, buy it. Thats the reason I bought the Ferrari 308 and let the Khamsin slip through my hands-because it was the first car I loved and wanted to own a good one before they became rare or cost a fortune to put a bad one right. But I do lament letting that Khamsin slip through my hands. To honest as well, the idea of finding parts for the Khamsin was a put off (when only 430 of the Gandini designed coupes were built by Bertone)-when I talk of parts, I'm not talking about mechanical parts or body panels(which you can get a custom hot rodder to roll one out for you), but rather things like the plastic louvres, indicator stalks, interior switches etc. Ditto for the Urraco. But if you yearn deeply for the Khamsin or Urraco, as I said before, bide your time and they will come up for sale. They are the connoisseurs choice.
If you ain't living on the edge, then you're taking up too much space

Offline au-yt

• Drives: Ferrari 456M GT
Hi Rhodes
15 Khamsins were imported. One more about 10 years ago from Hong Kong and one sold to NZ about 4-5 years ago.

Regards
Graeme
Life's to short to drive boring cars..

Latest Discussions

BOARD TOPIC MEMBER POSTED
[ Lamborghini ] Huracan Performante Condor Man Yesterday at 23:25
[ Funny Cool Stoopid ] it's funny cause i'm drunk!! PA Yesterday at 23:08
[ Off Topic ] Aussie Politics scud Yesterday at 22:33
[ Ferrari ] 812 Superfast JBO Yesterday at 21:19
[ Porsche ] 991 GT2 RS Tmaus Yesterday at 19:46
[ Porsche ] Porsche 991 911 R Australian Registry NBTBRV8 Yesterday at 18:58
[ Cars ] Amazing Cars For Sale Aircon Yesterday at 18:43