Offline adam01

Maybe one for Dodger

EVO UK May edition, who knows

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Maybe one for Dodger

Very nice need the dimensions to see if it fits supermarket carpark spaces.

Good looking machine, hope they don't price it out of the statosphere, oh silly me of course they will.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
I like it.

Looks like a 458 in new knickers of course, but pretty cool I reckon.

Forget the supermarket dodgy, the 458 is stupidly wide, this looks much the same.

Offline dkabab

Offline fivesix

Offline cel

I'm usually pretty gullible but I just can't see this happening...

Pleaaase let me be wrong!

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
Ever since Maserati came under the Fiat umbrella the brand has never been allowed to outshine the Jewel in the crown, Ferrari. The Maseratis have always had previous generation  Ferrari technology and "detuned" engines. Further to that, they have never shared the mid-engine layout and are much more orientated towards the GT market. All of which makes perfect sense amongst Fiats group of brands.

I can't see any of that changing now. Why market a mid-engined sportscar that will cost the same to develop as a Ferrari and necessarily go to market at a discount to the prancing donkey? You will have less profitability per unit and on top of that you will steal sales away from the more profitable Ferrari brand.

The only counter arguement that I can think of is massively increasing production volumes at Maserati rather than destroying (further than it already has) the illusion of exclusivity by ramping up volume at Ferrari.

Offline adam01

Ever since Maserati came under the Fiat umbrella the brand has never been allowed to outshine the Jewel in the crown, Ferrari. The Maseratis have always had previous generation  Ferrari technology and "detuned" engines. Further to that, they have never shared the mid-engine layout and are much more orientated towards the GT market. All of which makes perfect sense amongst Fiats group of brands.

I can't see any of that changing now. Why market a mid-engined sportscar that will cost the same to develop as a Ferrari and necessarily go to market at a discount to the prancing donkey? You will have less profitability per unit and on top of that you will steal sales away from the more profitable Ferrari brand.

The only counter arguement that I can think of is massively increasing production volumes at Maserati rather than destroying (further than it already has) the illusion of exclusivity by ramping up volume at Ferrari.

Latest press release (and those more recent) clearly states their intention to massively increase volume across a range of existing and newer models ie SUV.

Also declared they are targeting Audi (R8?), AM & Porsche(911) with their new lines. Arguably these brands are a rung below the Lambo/Ferrari segment so its probably not going to impinge too much on the F brand and potentially a good revenue/profit generator if they do it right.   

If they go down the mid engine path, presumably there are synergies with the 458 to lower production/development costs, as in what occured with the Alfa 8C/4C and engine blocks from F

But its all speculation & supposition  :)

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
hasn't maserati management had a shift / break from Fiat/Ferrari to some degree...

A while ago, I was sent info saying how Maserati may even be leaving the ferrrari showrooms, and becoming more competitive, but it never seemed to happen.... maybe those fires still burn?

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
Maserati used to be managed by Ferrari directly. Fiat then spun it off to another part of the empire (Alfa?); but it's still under the Fiat umbrella.

They may be going for high volume like Porsche; but it is going to hurt Ferrari sales to some degree.
Ask yourself what you would do if you had a 458 at $650k or an equally sensational looking mid engined Maserati for $350k
with similar performance? Would you REALLY pay $300k for the dancing donkey badge?
Having owned multiple examples of each brand I would go the Maserati. I wouldn't pay $300k for an ego massage.