Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Maserati used to be managed by Ferrari directly. Fiat then spun it off to another part of the empire (Alfa?); but it's still under the Fiat umbrella.

They may be going for high volume like Porsche; but it is going to hurt Ferrari sales to some degree.
Ask yourself what you would do if you had a 458 at $650k or an equally sensational looking mid engined Maserati for $350k
with similar performance? Would you REALLY pay $300k for the dancing donkey badge?
Having owned multiple examples of each brand I would go the Maserati. I wouldn't pay $300k for an ego massage.

I think you might find that that particular car will be priced well in excess of $350k by the look of it.
They would tweak if just right so there would be clear a choice between the 2 on price and performance, so as not to canibalise themselves.

Offline adam01

I think you might find that that particular car will be priced well in excess of $350k by the look of it.
They would tweak if just right so there would be clear a choice between the 2 on price and performance, so as not to canibalise themselves.

It needs to be in the ball park with the Porsche/R8 etc to garner sales away from these brands as thats where they are targeting. Yes probably would be "de tuned" to its F "equivalent" to provide sufficent reason for the F buyer to pay a (hefty)  premium.

Not sure that local priceing comparisions (M v F) would be factor in their decision making; the volume markets they are chasing presumably would be US & China.   

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater

Then you reach the other scenario where a very similar product is priced too closely to the premier brand so buyers pay the extra and move up.
When you get to that level an extra $100k isn't a deal breaker.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
I can't understand why anyone would buy a California, when the Maser cabrio is sitting across the showroom...

but they do...

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
I can't understand why anyone would buy a California, when the Maser cabrio is sitting across the showroom...

but they do...

It's the power of badge baby.

I went to one of the Ferrari Pilota days soon after I got the Scuderia. There were several California owners there. Lovely people; but a different breed to your traditional Ferrari buyer. In each case the Cali was their first Ferrari and they had come from Mercedes SL's or some machination of Porsche. They were buying the badge pure and simple.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

but they do...

I was thinking the opposite, a GT Stradale is about the same as a California, used, say around $350k I was wondering why anyone would buy the Masa, you would know better but surely the Cali is a better car.

• Soap Dodger

They're both equally good but in different ways.

I LOVE the look of the maser cabrio. I like the look of a California too, esp in black.

The point is moot. My Lancia and Getz, and Radical are all so much more..... me!

Offline adam01

It's the power of badge baby............

. They were buying the badge pure and simple.

Absolutly

And thats why the differential in pricing (M vF)  (be it marginal or otherwise) is somewhat academic     

Offline app

but they do...

Soft top v hard top?

• Soap Dodger

Soft top v hard top?

obviously, the main difference, but as said, it's mainly badge and "lookamee" points.