Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=55534&vf=2

First Drive: Maserati Gran Turismo S
Richard Blackburn, drive.com.au, July 29, 2008

A new bigger V8 and a fast-shifting automated manual transform the Gran Turismo from sedate GT to classic Italian sports car.

Maserati's new Gran Turismo S is in some ways a replacement for the sharply sports-focused Gran Sport that has been discontinued.

The new car has a higher capacity 4.7-litre V8 engine and a modified version of the Gran Sport’s automated manual gearbox, which was criticised for clunky gear changes that made the car a chore to drive in stop-start traffic.

The Gran Turismo S transmission is a much better proposition.

It uses shift technology borrowed from the Ferrari 599 and is far more refined in city traffic. While the gear changes are still sharper and more noticeable than the automatic, they are acceptable, given the sporty nature of the car.

Maserati says some drivers, particularly woman, were put off the Gran Sport by the transmission and it expects the new gearbox to make up roughly 20 per cent of the total Gran Turismo mix.

For us, the Gran Turismo S is the pick of the range.

While it is no out-and-out sports car, it is surprisingly nimble for a car that is close to five metres long.

There’s plenty of grip from the wide rubber and body roll through tight bends is minimal.

It may be more grand tourer than sports car, but for the type of buyers Maserati attracts, it has the right blend of performance and luxury.

In sports manual mode (activated by a button on the dash) the car transforms from cruiser to prowler.

The suspension is firmer, the gearshifts quicker and the throttle response sharper. But the real highlight is the noise that comes out of the exhaust. Maserati has fitted a exhaust bypass valve which sidesteps the mufflers, opens up the pipes and lets the Gran Turismo scream its lungs out.

The sound is incredible. Every gear shift is accompanied by a spit and growl as the engine clears its throat. Push the new 4.7-litre engine to the redline and the car sounds like it belongs on a race track.

The engine itself feels noticeably stronger than the 4.2-litre unit on the standard model, partly helped by the more responsive throttle and quicker shifting gearbox, especially in sports mode.

The new S also looks the part.

There’s a subtle, integrated rear spoiler and side skirts combine with lowered ride height to give the car a classic sports car stance.

At the front the grille has been painted in black, while the headlight backings are also finished in black for a more menacing, cat-like look.

The new 20-inch wheels have a dark titanium finish and spokes incorporating the trident logo. They combine with bigger 360mm brake discs and six-piston calipers at the front, which provide progressive but powerful stopping power.

Inside, there are sports seats, big shift paddles on the leather steering wheel and a choice of traditional wood or racy carbon fibre inserts on the dash and door trims.

Overall, the Gran Turismo looks, feels and sounds like an Italian grand tourer should, which is what you’d expect from the company that invented the GT concept.

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

Funny that the experiences we heard in Tassie would not conform to the authors views...although the engine is now different I'd be very surprise if the handling is as nimble as they painted it to be.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Yeah - there must be some serious changes from the car I was in if they can describe the drive as "nimble" and the sound as "incredible".

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

Yeah - there must be some serious changes from the car I was in if they can describe the drive as "nimble" and the sound as "incredible".
did you get a ride in it?

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

did you get a ride in it?

Yeah - I made a long post about it on fchat.  Search my posts for keyword "boat". :D

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

Yeah - I made a long post about it on fchat.  Search my posts for keyword "boat". :D
did you get a ride in aircon's car?

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
I've got another keyword for you... "poonce" :D

http://aussieexotics.com/forum/events-and-racing/tassie-08-picspost-em-ere-t1574.0.html;msg21993#msg21993

hehehe...yeah.

want to go fast in a GT4? (who'd want to)........buy your own! :)

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

want to go fast in a GT4? (who'd want to)........buy your own! :)

The GT4 did surprisingly well, considering its age...the car i mean, not the drive :D It kept up with me on some of the roads, until I got bored and went into 2nd gear :P