Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
What am i getting myself into...

I think what Mr Wattens is saying is basically right from a legalities point of view, also from a real world, day to day rims point of view. In the real (non track focused titanium clad 3 piece wheel world) going from a 18" wheel and tyre package to a 20in wheel and tyre package will result in decreased performance.

Heavier wheel, less sidewall to absorb bumps, problems with the cops and insurance. Right?! But sure I concede and Im sure wattens would to that if you went from an 18in factory alloy to a 20in - 3 piece - light weight rim from a reputable brand, that decrease in performance issue wouldn't appear.

Disaster averted?

errr....

there's much more to it than that.

the rolling circumference is MUCH more important to performance than weight changes.. MUCH MUCH more important.

Wheel diameter DOES NOT determine rolling circumference. TYRE SIZE/PROFILE DOES.

Ride quality.... the more air volume in the tyre = better ride quality.

PERFORMANCE, is variable on a number of things.... wheel off set, width, tyre size, tyre type. etc etc

It also never fails to OMG me, when people spend gazzilions on fancy wheels, and then fit sumitomo or yankinmofo tyres or whatever they are.