Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Update: since going almost full carnivore, I've been able to sleep just fine, go figger. :doh:

Also, noticed a pattern, I sleep for 4-5 hours, wake up refreshed and get up and do stuff for an hour or two, then want more sleep so hit bed for another 2-3 hours.

This sorta seems optimal, also it means I nearly always catch the sunrise (which looks faaaabulous from my place), and lucid dreaming is so much easier in the second sleep cycle - then I saw this article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783

The myth of the eight-hour sleep

In the early 1990s, psychiatrist Thomas Wehr conducted an experiment in which a group of people were plunged into darkness for 14 hours every day for a month.

It took some time for their sleep to regulate but by the fourth week the subjects had settled into a very distinct sleeping pattern. They slept first for four hours, then woke for one or two hours before falling into a second four-hour sleep.

In 2001, historian Roger Ekirch of Virginia Tech published a seminal paper, drawn from 16 years of research, revealing a wealth of historical evidence that humans used to sleep in two distinct chunks.

His book At Day's Close: Night in Times Past, published four years later, unearths more than 500 references to a segmented sleeping pattern - in diaries, court records, medical books and literature, from Homer's Odyssey to an anthropological account of modern tribes in Nigeria.