Linked Events

• SA Numeric Plate Auction: Sun, 05 Apr, 2009

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
and privately at the moment??? 20-30k?

Only way to find out is to try and buy one.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I would have thought that 3 digit plates would bring less sold privately, not more, due to the limited audience for single sales.  The auction is likely to get the best price for these I reckon because of the heavy marketing.  Please correct me if you know of higher private sales - I'm probably wrong.

Offline Victory

Hi everyone.

I'm wondering how some people get numeric plates with a different font, particularly narrow tall numbers that aren't on raised/pressed metal (or at least I think that's what they are).

Thanks.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Hi everyone.

I'm wondering how some people get numeric plates with a different font, particularly narrow tall numbers that aren't on raised/pressed metal (or at least I think that's what they are).

Thanks.

Some sign companies will manufacture  plates although Transport SA has written to most to tell them it is illegal to do so and illegal to display them.  Cops won't stop you for them (usually) but can get difficult if they choose to.  Too much trouble for my liking.

Offline rallygraphix

It is actually against the ADR's to drive with a created plate other than the Govt supplied ones.

Police can grab an easy buck from you if they see them. Not sure about the fine, think its a couple hundred?  Plus they can be A**holes and send you to the pits or defect station.

Seems a lot get away with it though form the amount of stick ons I have seen on the front of various cars.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

This is the Vic rules.

Interestingly there is an old rule that still applies but I have never been pulled over for it: not displaying a front plate on a bike is $60 fine.

Legal Framework – Victoria:
The vehicle registration number must be clearly visible and readable from a distance of 20 metres at any point within the space produced by a horizontal arc of 90 degrees and a vertical arc of 45 degrees. Any cover must be clear, clean, untinted and flat over its entire surface. The following offences apply:

Obscured/missing/stick-on number plate – On the spot infringement @ $110 fine plus 3 Demerit points. (No guilty mind or intent required to be proven).

Fraudulently altering a number plate - $1,000 fine or imprisonment for 2 months

Sell, use or possess an anti-speed measuring device - $2, 000 fine.

Offline Victory

so something like this is illegal?
sorry about using these as an example, carsales was the only place I knew where to find images.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com

Offline calais

• Drives: WRX
so something like this is illegal?
sorry about using these as an example, carsales was the only place I knew where to find images.

Yes, I believe so.

Some sign companies will manufacture  plates although Transport SA has written to most to tell them it is illegal to do so and illegal to display them.

A few years back I tried to get a replacement plate and couldn't easily find anyone to fabricate it, other than TSA. I must admit that my search wasn't extensive; only got as far as the yellow pages.

The plastic jobs look tidy, not sure how long they'd last.

Offline rallygraphix

SA regs: (Well very basic as I cant be bothered searching out the proper ADR doc) 

Only plates made by an approved manufacturer comply with the requirements of the Motor Vehicles Act. The display of non-approved plates incurs the risk of a Traffic Infringement Notice and a fine.

Plates must be visible from the front and rear of a motor vehicle and must not be obscured by a tow ball, load, plastic cover, dirt build-up or any part of the vehicle’s bodywork. Operating a vehicle in this condition renders the driver liable to receiving a Traffic Infringement Notice.