Linked Events

• SA Numeric Plate Auction: Sun, 05 Apr, 2009

Offline app

Yes, I'd tend to agree this. Though I do have a theory on these model specific plates. Surely these are likely to hit a ceiling price by where the plate value will cease to increase, that is where they exceed the "value balance" to the car they are attached. Of course some low digit plates such as 121 will always be popular even if it was once best placed on a Mazda Bubble car.

i would've thought it was cheap because it is just a model specific number plate, ie not many cars to put them on.

i know people have a different view but IMO the price is pretty well justified by the limited number of 993's it can be put on.

Offline calais

• Drives: WRX
At the start of the auction, the auctioneer said that a plate sold for in excess of $100,000 recently. Does any one know what plate this was?

Any ideas on this? Was this sale a public offering or just detail Evans Clarke had sourced from the DTEI?

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Any ideas on this? Was this sale a public offering or just detail Evans Clarke had sourced from the DTEI?

Private sale, I suspect

Offline rallygraphix

Speaking to the TSA lasy today. It was a private sale, and then apparently there was a 10% changeover fee after that to put it on the car!!
She refused to offer insight as to what number it was, but supposedly single digit.

Private sale on historics are a 10% changeover fee to run them on a vehicle.

Offline app

Does DTEI do as private sales as well private auctions? 

How exactly does the system work? Do people on here think it's a fair system?

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Does DTEI do as private sales as well private auctions? 

How exactly does the system work? Do people on here think it's a fair system?

DTEI don't "do" private sales.  They will forward an expression of interest in a number to its rights holder (owner).  For this service, they charge 10% of sale price of the rights if a sale eventuates.  Is it fair?  Who knows, but it is simple to understand and maintains the confidentiality of the owners from prying eyes.

Offline M308

• Degranged

DTEI don't "do" private sales.  They will forward an expression of interest in a number to its rights holder (owner).  For this service, they charge 10% of sale price of the rights if a sale eventuates.  Is it fair?  Who knows, but it is simple to understand and maintains the confidentiality of the owners from prying eyes.
Not any more! They will no longer forward letters on to owners. Their reason was "people were constantly harassing owners of plates to sell them". I am gathering there is an alternative motive behind this decision :mad:

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Not any more! They will no longer forward letters on to owners. Their reason was "people were constantly harassing owners of plates to sell them". I am gathering there is an alternative motive behind this decision :mad:

I'm not surprised with the change of heart.  I guess it is better to get 100% of the price of a random plate still in stock than it is to get 10% of the price of a decent plate already out there.  I imagine some owners would get tired of receiving mail about a really good plate - like [7] for example.

I think Stewart's www.historicplates.com.au site is the go.  It establishes a market place where sellers and buyers can meet.  Of course, TSA still get 10% of the action but at least the market might free up a little.

Offline M308

• Degranged

Absolutely! Should be good to have something like this where it will also get rid of time wasters when buying & selling :thumbsup:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I think Stewart's www.historicplates.com.au site is the go.  It establishes a market place where sellers and buyers can meet.  Of course, TSA still get 10% of the action but at least the market might free up a little.

Certainly interested to see what he does with it - of course there already exists a free place to list them, and guess what it's already #1 in Google for "historic plates for sale", but doesn't get used much, oh well. :)   Maybe there should be a price put on it - give an air of value... :scratchchin: