Offline app

heard this on the radio yesterday...worth a listen...

http://blogs.abc.net.au/sa/2013/05/a-super-investment-rego-plates-good-as-gold.html

Didn't realise the situation with SA 1. Does that mean that family can use it even if they can't sell it?

If it was allowed to be sold, is it the family that currently has it that would be the ones that sell it?

Where is Stewart these days anyway?

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Didn't realise the situation with SA 1. Does that mean that family can use it even if they can't sell it?

If it was allowed to be sold, is it the family that currently has it that would be the ones that sell it?

No. 1 returns to the registrar if the vehicle is sold or the registration expires. The plates have no rights attached to them.

Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
Nice find.  :thumbsup:

$500K - $1m?  Mmm......good luck!

Number 3 has your name all over it surely Mark!
This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
I don't mean to be negative, but don't get your hopes up.....

The value isn't applicable in this situation, until you have confirmation that the plate can be transferred.

Would be interesting to know. They may have made a statewide change to the ruling after my friend said he would see them in court. They back pedaled and said he could reuse his on a car or sell it if he wanted.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason

The WHITE GP number plate is 358. In your opinion, how much can I offer to buy? Thanks so much.

See if M308 can get you a price on a 2 digit GP plate. It will be more collectable than 358 and you wont have the hassles of future governments saying yes or no to resell it.

Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson
Would be interesting to know. They may have made a statewide change to the ruling after my friend said he would see them in court. They back pedaled and said he could reuse his on a car or sell it if he wanted.
Who actually said this to him? If he is able to do this, it could open a "HUGE" can of worms, not just for the hundreds of GP plate owners, but for all the Historic plate owners who are in the same position......SA 1 & 2 (and many other owners) will have an extremely strong case to put forward :mischief:

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason

Who actually said this to him? If he is able to do this, it could open a "HUGE" can of worms, not just for the hundreds of GP plate owners, but for all the Historic plate owners who are in the same position......SA 1 & 2 (and many other owners) will have an extremely strong case to put forward :mischief:
I'm not sure who said it to him, I think he received it in a letter from motor reg. When I mentioned it on here last year people said he wouldnt be able to reuse them because they hadnt been on a car in over 10 years but I saw them on one of his Falcon coupes a few weeks back.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason

The thing with the GP plates is that they were promoted as an investment, all those other plates probably weren't. You can't promote something as an investment if you're not allowed to resell it. He had every piece of paperwork that came with the plates so if he had something that said they were an investment, the department have to allow them to be resold.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason

He may have had the original paper work that said that he was allowed to sell the plates as stated on the number plate collectors website. My friend is very lawyered up and very knowledgeable on laws. He has told the rego depart in the past what he wanted to do when they disagreed with him and got his way. It looks like they changed the laws to what they are now and he has told them sorry, you cant do that and they have complied.

http://www.npcc.org.au/article_sagp.html
White GP plates are similar to personalised plates, ie they can be held "off the vehicle" for up to 5 years, after then the rights are lost. In the past white plates could be sold to another person or new numbers issued. Now they can be used only by their present owner, no trading or new numbers are allowed. This change was made because they overlap with numeric passenger plates.

Offline app

What's to stop one from putting the plates on a $500 car and selling the car with the plates? :D