Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

Could you lease it back to a company you are a Director of?

I've got no idea, you're asking the wrong person.  You are talking to the most conservative person you've never met.  It's why I only drive a HSV and OHOS 308.  I do every thing above board and according to the rules.

Offline TomE

Does Transport SA allow plates to be put on a car in that is not in the same name?

So many people doing stupid things in SMSFs that the government is going to have to act soon ....
"There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam... "

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

No, that's a related party transaction.

Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson
Does Transport SA allow plates to be put on a car in that is not in the same name?

So many people doing stupid things in SMSFs that the government is going to have to act soon ....
No, not that I know of. This was done in Victoria where VicRoads have different rules & regulations.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
I've got no idea, you're asking the wrong person.  You are talking to the most conservative person you've never met.  It's why I only drive a HSV and OHOS 308.  I do every thing above board and according to the rules.

And you're still going to be a billionaire despite the handicap of conservatism ; )

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
I once asked my accountant and was told it was possible if the plates were never put on a car due to the sole purpose test.  That was a while back so things might have changed for the worse. Tax rulings never seem to change for the better.

Yes, changed for the worse. Heritage plates are subject to the same stringent rules as art in a SMSF.
Not worth the trouble now and you have until mid 2016 to get them out of the fund or comply with the suffocating rules.  If you break the rules after that you risk the fund being deemed non-compliant and it will be subject to normal tax rates. The trustee gets hit with penalties that I believe can't be paid with money in the superfund.

So if you have them in the fund the choices are to sell them on the open market or get them independently valued and buy your own plates from your own fund at an arms length valuation.

Offline shack

• 300kph+ club
  • I am not here .....

Yes, changed for the worse. Heritage plates are subject to the same stringent rules as art in a SMSF.
Not worth the trouble now and you have until mid 2016 to get them out of the fund or comply with the suffocating rules.  If you break the rules after that you risk the fund being deemed non-compliant and it will be subject to normal tax rates. The trustee gets hit with penalties that I believe can't be paid with money in the superfund.

So if you have them in the fund the choices are to sell them on the open market or get them independently valued and buy your own plates from your own fund at an arms length valuation.

An who ever thought Super was yours to do with what you wanted. Successive governments think its theirs to do with what they want

Offline blackr35

What happens if you damage your Historic Plate? Do they just make up new ones? Does anyone insure their Historic Plates? I would imagine, if you have the rights to display a plate, the actual physical plate is very much secondary, as the right to display can't really be stolen.

Offline schmik325

What happens if you damage your Historic Plate? Do they just make up new ones? Does anyone insure their Historic Plates? I would imagine, if you have the rights to display a plate, the actual physical plate is very much secondary, as the right to display can't really be stolen.

PPQ in QLD can reproduce our ones. They charge $325 a plate.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

$22 a set in SA online.  I just ordered a new set for the GT3. The 6 months old ones are losing paint. I'm sure they would replace them for free in this case but it's cheaper just to order a new set.