Offline eddievanhalen

• Drives: 2010 jaguar xkr
Made a last minute decision this weekend to travel in to my first motorshow in years with the 3yo (car mad) son and had a pretty good time - will post in that thread later - but came away unexpectedly with a heritage number plate.

I'm certainly not a car "fanatic" I don't think -  I can't take a car apart and put it back together - but I've had 3 pretty modest goals over the years:

1) own my dream high performance GT car (either XKR, DBS or Granturismo) - tick there

2) own a modern/classic pair  (XKR + XK-E (E type) , or DBS + 70's DBS etc....)  .  No rush there - I'm only mid 30's and really don't have the time to care for and store an older car

3) get a nice heritage number plate

Up until today my intention was to delay the number plate for a long time until I could justify one of the really good single/double digit jobs , but as coincidence would have it something clicked today and I've got something that may well provide me with as much satisfaction for a fraction of the price.

The number I got was "5150"  (Victorian) .  I know many regard the 4 digit plates as "blah,blah........" and you don't have to be Einstein to know how many possible combinations that Vicroads will dribble out over time , but I had my reasons.

I figure that if you're going to get a 4 digit plate it may as well be something that has significance (and a potential pool of buyers) outside of just the number of digits and the number plate collector community - like something related to one of the biggest rock bands of all time.

As you may guess from my nick I am a big Van Halen fan and would have one of the most extensive collections of memorabilia in this country - it's been sitting idle for a while but I still have an interest.  This 5150 plate ticked a lot of boxes for me:

- it's something pretty cool to me and people who know me

-  it's a decent piece just on its own (4 digit  , descending 51,50)  in what is a good time to buy (weak market in collectibles). Only years ago similar plates were fetching 50-100% more. I paid reserve only.

- 5150 is a number very strongly associated with the band (Ed's guitars, amps, the studio is called 5150 and one of their best albums is "5150").  Unless you're a fan you wouldn't realise the widespread recognition of those numbers in the music community.  To a VH fan/collector that IS a single digit plate equivalent.

- as a "never to be repeated" item that I can add to an already extensive collection it may have just added far more than what I paid to the value of my VH memorabilia collection if I ever decided to auction in a receptive market.

On the whole it seems a very cheap win all round .

I just need to decide whether to leave it retired or slap it on the XKR.  If I do I certainly won't be driving it out to lovely Melton for the VH gig later in the year  :D

Cheers,

Ed

Offline TomE

2) own a modern/classic pair  (XKR + XK-E (E type) , or DBS + 70's DBS etc....)  .  No rush there - I'm only mid 30's and really don't have the time to care for and store an older car

My plan too. But I started with the E-Type.

Congratulations on the plate. Throw it on the XKR  :thumbsup:

Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson
Congrats mate! Definitely use it on your car.....

It's always great to see someone who gets a plate where the number actually means something to them.....well done :thumbsup:

P.S. Great time to buy as well  :mischief:

Offline eddievanhalen

Thanks guys.   While you're here M308 are there any particular tips for fitting them if I decide to use it?   I understand they're much heavier and less flexible - do you usually find people play it safe and go for a bracket made by Lakin or similar?

Cheers,

Ed

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Well done Ed it will only go up in value which is a bonus :thumbsup:

Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson
Thanks guys.   While you're here M308 are there any particular tips for fitting them if I decide to use it?   I understand they're much heavier and less flexible - do you usually find people play it safe and go for a bracket made by Lakin or similar?

Cheers,

Ed
I have never fitted a Vic style enamel plate to a car (illegal to use them here in SA) but I am sure someone on the forum will be able to give you some advice & if not, PM me & I will ask one of my clients in Vic for the details :)

Offline T0M722

Awesome purchase! Sounds like a nice plate, so good buy there ;)

Stick it on your beautiful car! I don't see why you wouldn't unless you have an interesting plate on it already :P

Offline app

Nice work Eddie :thumbsup:

I reckon you should stick it on, that's just me :)

Offline cel

Great buy for you, congrats!

I'd say definitely put it on the car, it would look on a XKR  :thumbsup:

Offline eddievanhalen

FWIW and for others future reference I'm going to use the plate and it appears I can save some time and stuffing around by using the guys I mentioned (Lakin Plates).  They do a bracket specifically for Vic heritage plates that'll work with the shape of the XKR.   Once I send them details they'll drum up a powder coated metal bracket in black with security screws etc..........designed to match the stock fixing points, which in my case is slimline and on a rounded surface.

Assuming it goes to plan I'll post a couple of pics when it's on.  First impressions (phone call) they (Lakin) sound reasonably switched on .

Ed