Offline STi Nut

• Drives: Toyota GTS 86
[F7] looks so crap in the middle of the massive plates that i got given from TSA, thats why i was asking, i don't want to have any issues with the law so i suppose i will just have to keep them, I was told but i think it may be wrong now, as long as you have "SA" and/or the SA bird symbol on the plate than it is legal.......

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Signwriters can do plates any size and shape.

You can get true reflective lettering and PERFECT replication of plates.

If the lettering is not a true font (highly likely) you'll have to pay a custom design fee for each letter/character made.

Expect to pay around $50-100 for a few prints of your custom made plates, depending on custom lettering.

Offline STi Nut

• Drives: Toyota GTS 86
TSA wans $56 for a reprint of plates in a new color and/or shape..... so  i was expecting to pay upto $100, but i don't want to do it if i am gonna get stopped by a cop who is having a bad day!

• Soap Dodger

, but i don't want to do it if i am gonna get stopped by a cop who is having a bad day!

haha... don't leave home then, and park the car off the street!

My point is that you can tweak the sizing to suit exactly your requirements, if you have an oddball mounting request.

Offline app

I've done a google search on this and from what I've read, in some states they prohibit the modification of plates because they have to be able to be read by a camera if someone is caught for speeding or running through a red light.

I could be wrong, but it could be a grey area. I see plenty of new European cars with modified shiny black background plates (acyrlic I think). I've seen some where the digits on the modified plates are smaller than the standard ones. If it was me, I'd just do it providing that the letters/numbers didn't look dodgy and had the SA letters on the top or side and keep using it until someone stopped me!!

Ironically there are plenty of old bombs that have the standard black and white alpha-numeric plates, only the white background is black from all the exhaust!! I've seen some where you cannot read them at all!!

• Soap Dodger

as MHH said... using ANY plate other than that issued by the relevant authority is illegal.

It also has to be mounted vertically, and not angled and it has to be fully viewable and not hidden down inside intakes etc

That said, WGAF.

if it makes you feel good, do it.

Offline app

as MHH said... using ANY plate other than that issued by the relevant authority is illegal.

It also has to be mounted vertically, and not angled and it has to be fully viewable and not hidden down inside intakes etc

That said, WGAF.

if it makes you feel good, do it.

Yeah I understand it is illegal. But it never ceases to amaze me how many modified plates I see here in SA. Given there are so many that go around on the roads and not getting caught, surely that suggests there is a grey area?? Whatever it is, the fact that it is illegal isn't stopping people from doing it anyway.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

The Vette that I had a few years ago had a cutout in the rear panel for the plate. This of course was designed for the Yank plates.

The Vic plates were too long so I shaved the ends off. You could still read the numbers fine.

But I got pulled over one day and was fined $135(back then) for "modifying" the plates. I think it was actually called defacing or something.  :irked:

Not sure how much the fine is now days. 

But I had an old trailer for years that had an old hand painted number plate on it and I never had any problems with it.   :confused:

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
you've all seen the front plate on the 355, right?

haven't had a prob yet...and it's been like that for a few years now
I love my car. Buy your own

• Soap Dodger

you've all seen the front plate on the 355, right?

haven't had a prob yet...and it's been like that for a few years now

dob a hoon 1300 664 666  :thumbsup: