Offline RMV

• A Country Member

Furthermore, you can snap up a nice custom plate with as many or little letters as you like for just around $300 a year. Ie, you can pick number plates that are much nicer looking than the historic plates for a lower price.

That's a matter of opinion.

Offline app

That's a matter of opinion.

I agree. I like Ash, would love a historic plate, just because they look so good being on a black background and just numbers making it more special than just normal plates.

What I'm saying is, the whole thing with auctioning just a few historic plates relative to the many tens of thousands they have locked up is nothing but a scam. When they do auction them they lead people to believe they are more rare than they really are. Just imagine what would happen to the prices of the existing custom plates if TSA just suddenly announced that they were no longer selling custom plates. They would go ridiculously high. But since they are freely available 24/7 for you to pick on the net, they are worth nothing more than $190 a year. Just imagine if TSA didn't lock up the historic plates and sold as people demanded - they'd be worthless crap now. Given the size of Adelaide, every 2nd bloody car would have a historic plate!! That's why it's a scam. There's a lot of people (but not all people buying them because they are exclusive and more special. They have forgotten that real car lovers on here (some of which who have historical plates) really do love those plates and would love to get their hands on some. Sorry this is full on, but this makes me angry.

Edit: Offensive material removed and correct price of custom plate entered.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I know what you mean about historic, there is something intangible about them that makes it special. However, Ash would you be saying the same thing if there weren't a limited number available? I know that I really wanted one back before they started auctioning them so I know it's not to do with the fact there's few of them.

FWIW I don't place 4-digit plates at any greater value than custom plates - unless they're cool combinations of numbers.  I only put value on 1, 2, and 3 digit plates - of which there are obviously only ever going to be 1,000 available.  I'm not sure about the F1GP thing though, that confuses me.

I removed the stuff about rich people etc. I know who you are referring to when you mention the Lambo owner but Ash he's not just someone who can afford it, he's buying them because he likes cars and likes them and  if I remember correctly, so that he could match them with the phone numbers in his family. So I wasn't referring to some of the car lovers who can afford them and genuinely love them.

Quote edited - but that's not who I'm referring to either.

Offline STi Nut

• Drives: Toyota GTS 86

STi Nut, I agree with you, I want to have a number plate different to other number plates and think $190 a year is definately worth it for this. Does your custom plate have a meaning in it? I'm not asking you to say it out over the net but does it have any relation to your name or anything, just out of curiosity. The one I would like would have some meaning to me.

you could say that there is some meaning to it, i have a single letter and single number. the letter being the first letter of my first name and the number being sorta a lucky number that runs in the family. i suppose you can say it has more meaning than historic plates, i have nothing against historic plate, but 95% of people don't have a connection with the plate, atleast thats what i find

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

"WTF" means I only work three days a week - Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. ;)

Did "they" ask for them to be returned???

I seem to remember something about them here in Vic being black banned(combos with WTF in them), not sure about other states.

Ah, remember there was a thread about it in here somewhere. (?)

Offline app

Did "they" ask for them to be returned???

I seem to remember something about them here in Vic being black banned(combos with WTF in them), not sure about other states.

Ah, remember there was a thread about it in here somewhere. (?)

Your not talking about Reply #3 of this thread are you?

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Your not talking about Reply #3 of this thread are you?

There are a few plate combos that Vicroads has asked to be returned.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Er, I was sure I saw a reply from Ash but now it's gone????  :confused:

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

What are your thoughts on the new Euro style plates? I'm a bit disappointed. They're just sequential plates like the AA-xxxA series "Premium" plates but in a different style, but where the premium plates were bought outright for $170 (from memory), the new Euro plates are $190/year. That's the same price as a custom plate but you get no say in the combination of numbers or letters. Another govt. money grab.

had a look at the euro plates last night and did not like them...so I went with something else for 'fun'  :D

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Electric everything
  • Name: Peter
had a look at the euro plates last night and did not like them...so I went with something else for 'fun'  :D

LUV2SCRW?

I love my car. Buy your own