Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
This:

Ok, the registry threads no longer show up in the main LATEST UPDATES area, so platenerds can still spot with impunity there. 

I haven't removed them from the main page of the forum yet (but will soon), I just wanted a quick fix for the latest updates page at the time when there were like 20 threads.

Do you guys want them hidden from the recent threads at the bottom of every page as well?  Meaning you have to actually go INTO the NP sections to see if there's anything going on.

Offline KV

• Nee SydneyExotics

• Drives: Bugatti Veyron (model scaled 1:100)
This:

I haven't removed them from the main page of the forum yet (but will soon), I just wanted a quick fix for the latest updates page at the time when there were like 20 threads.

Do you guys want them hidden from the recent threads at the bottom of every page as well?  Meaning you have to actually go INTO the NP sections to see if there's anything going on.
Ash don't completely remove NP section from the main page forum, just try and keep it to a maximum of a certain amount of posts till it doesn't show on the forum.... :confused: im not sure..but don't take it off completely!  :waah:

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

This:

ash, your site mate, do what you want buddy.

maybe a number plate thread as a sticky on the 'latest discussions' page that directs you to the individual number plate threads when clicked?

not sure how easy for you to do under the covers.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

maybe a number plate thread as a sticky on the 'latest discussions' page that directs you to the individual number plate threads when clicked?

It's cool, we'll find a happy medium.

Offline j15

May I suggest that a registry be maintained in one thread for plates in which the first post contains a list of plates and corresponding cars that is updated from time to time as new information comese to hand. If there is more information about that plate, then the first post can also include a reference (perhaps a post number within the thread or a link) to where the extra information is.

It seems to me that a solution like that would consolidate the data to one spot while at the same time it would put a stop to the avalanche of new number plate threads.

Perhaps this might create additional work for you Ash if there was no one else with the ability to update a registry of that kind, but I think that it could make the forum a nicer place to be for those that don't want to wade through number plate threads.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

May I suggest that a registry be maintained in one thread for plates in which the first post contains a list of plates and corresponding cars that is updated from time to time as new information comese to hand. If there is more information about that plate, then the first post can also include a reference (perhaps a post number within the thread or a link) to where the extra information is.

It seems to me that a solution like that would consolidate the data to one spot while at the same time it would put a stop to the avalanche of new number plate threads.

Perhaps this might create additional work for you Ash if there was no one else with the ability to update a registry of that kind, but I think that it could make the forum a nicer place to be for those that don't want to wade through number plate threads.

Don't worry - the NP registry stuff will be basically invisible to those who don't care soon, that will be tomorrow morning's project.

Offline M500

Personally I think the number plates threads have a place on this site and should remain, it is just the plate-spam threads that bother me.

I suggest that plate spotting be limited to a single thread much like the [ Spotted Thread ], from there members can notify Ash if they feel their information warrants inclusion to the [ Number Plate Registry ]. Nobody seems to feel it necessary to create a new thread everytime they "Spot" another Lambo, Fezza, etc. Whilst most of us have a common interest in historic plates and certainly exotics; the majority of members here are well enough versed about these cars and plates that they don't need a specific thread to hi-light the fact that plate number [ xxx ] has been seen again or that there is another XXX XXX being parked/ driven/ for sale in a dealership, etc.

As for the plate-spam; promoting your business' ranking in terms of Australia's best and/ or an ultra fantastic opportunity is fine but it should be limited to a sponsorship thread because it really is not news worthy information, only self serving promotion.