Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
So you mean my number plate HEKTIC is worth nothing?!?
How bout ACHOO, and BLESSU on my turbo cars??? Nothing!?!

Nah cuz dats sick
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline charliekay

Sorry about the crappy phone pic.

Saw this on the M4.

Number plate is "3".

The back was debadged so not sure what model it was. My guess is a Turbo.

Offline cursed

LOL Ash.. was just a general question, the other guy said he had been offered $10,000 for them (this could have been just a selling point, but don't worry my cousin didn't pay an extra 10k for them lol)... so I just generally wanted to see howmuch they are actually worth...

and funny that you mention the plates BLESSU because.......

Offline ferrarista2

• Drives: Slowly
 :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:
Everything looks better in carbon fibre

Offline theintelligent1

• Vodka is Just Unfinished Gin

• Drives: Miss Daisy

Offline fastoy

• Drives: SLK 55 AMG Mercedes-Benz
Free, as you would have to pay $500 a year in NSW to keep renting it from the government...

Nah, those plates are free to keep, but about $45000 to buy..

Offline adam01

Offline fastoy

• Drives: SLK 55 AMG Mercedes-Benz
Just for comparison, what is NSW [6] worth? I ask because SA [6] is for sale.

NSW 6 was offered at Shannons auction on 21st October 2007. Bid to $895,000 but passed in. One phone bidder and one room bidder. You could hear a pin drop above $800,000.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

AFR:

Yes, it's a square piece of pressed tin, measuring 15cm by 15cm, with some minor traffic scars, yet chances are this heritage number plate will sell for around half a million dollars at a Shannons auction in Sydney on Monday evening. As will a similar example offered by Mossgreen the following Sunday.

You may wonder why. The real value of these plates is in the 'right to display' option that is handed over with the hardware. This allows the winning bidder to place this number on their own cars. The original plates are usually mounted on the owner's wall in the manner of a sporting trophy.

This is a curious phenomenon, at least to those of us unwilling to spend half a million on a rego number. In a sense these are status symbols. The new owner is guaranteed membership of a very exclusive double digit club.

NSW 29, with estimates of $490,000 to $550,000, is worth more simply because it is a lower number than NSW 36. That one has estimates of $400,000 to $450,000.

After taking off in the early 2000s, values of low number plates have remained relatively stable since the global financial crisis. This is graphic evidence that they are moving again. Speculators have always been a feature of this scene, buying plates in the same way that others trade in shares.

Advertisement

Double digit plates come on the market very rarely, and when they do a select group of collectors get very excited. Vic 97 sold for $180,000 at the 2010 Motoclassica Auction in Melbourne. NSW 18 sold for $248,600 in the early noughties. All figures include buyer's premiums.

The record for any Australian plate sold at auction remains the $680,000 paid for NSW 2 through Bonhams & Goodman in 2003. It is rumoured that NSW 6 has changed hands privately for around the million dollar mark.

Shannons has long been the major Australian auction house for sales of heritage plates in Australia, also handling releases on behalf of VicRoads and the Roads and Maritime Services in NSW.

Mossgreen entered the market only recently but has made an impact. In June 2016 it sold NSW 100 for an impressive $241,500. Mossgreen's May 28 auction, which includes the sale of NSW 36, marks the first time this Melbourne-based business has held a classic car auction in Sydney. It takes place at Carriageworks in Eveleigh.

It is worth noting that NSW 1 and Vic 1 plates are both known to exist.

Vic 1 was released in 1932 but after heated debate between the Police Commissioner, the Premier and the Governor about who should stick them on their car, these plates were locked in a vault at the Motor Registration Board until they appeared at auction in 1984. A retired Ballarat mechanic allegedly bought them for $165,000. Estimates of current value are $2 million to $2.5 million.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully
Saw that this morning. I reckon NSW #29 might break into the $600's.