Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
That's a matter of opinion.

Hey fionsay!!! :lovies: :p

Yeah - I'd take a 3 digit over a 3 letter any day, but nowadays even 4-digits are going for $5-10k so it's not on my xmas list this year. :(

However - I've just acquired [ OMG ] to go with my [ WTF ] plates. :D

Offline app

Hey fionsay!!! :lovies: :p

Yeah - I'd take a 3 digit over a 3 letter any day, but nowadays even 4-digits are going for $5-10k so it's not on my xmas list this year. :(

However - I've just acquired [ OMG ] to go with my [ WTF ] plates. :D

I would like a 3 digit too!!

By the way Ash. Do you actually have to have a car to put these plates on? I would like to get a custom plate but don't currently have a car to put them on so that's why I was wondering.

Offline STi Nut

• Drives: Toyota GTS 86
don't believe you have to own a car, you can buy the plate and just pay the fee for it but not actually put it on a car.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

By the way Ash. Do you actually have to have a car to put these plates on? I would like to get a custom plate but don't currently have a car to put them on so that's why I was wondering.

No.  You *do* need a licence though, and then you can order them but you can't pick them up until you have a currently registered car to put them on.

I went through this with a couple of mine - last year I got my girlfriend (at the time) to pick them up for me, she said she got an absolute grilling on the details of the car they were going on and stuff - oddly enough she remembered everything about it to the last detail! :)  Then this year with my [ WTF ] plates I had to sit there for nearly an hour at the place where I was supposed to pick them up and re-explain over and over the situation - that the car *was* from NSW but recently SA plated, and that "WTF" means I only work three days a week - Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. ;)

Offline STi Nut

"WTF" means I only work three days a week - Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. ;)

:clap: lol that is gold!!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

I agree. I like Ash, would love a historic plate, just because they look so good being on a black background and just numbers making it more special than just normal plates.

It's more than that, a lot of it intangible - or at least inexplicable to someone who doesn't "get it".

...custom plates... they are worth nothing more than $300 a year.

Dunno where you keep getting this figger from - it's $190 here.

edited out

Steady on - no point carpet-bombing.  It's fun to make jokes about Audi owners being homosexual and convertible owners being hairdressers and BMW owners being shallow insecure yuppies etc etc :D but it's another thing to seriously do the brush tarring thingo.  I know a few people with more than they technically need, but the vitriol against people who embrace capitalism should probably be left to the comments sections of news.com.au articles - we're all here because we want or have more than is mediocre in life.  One of the guys from the recent Lambo run owns dozens of heritage plates - to imagine someone like him a snobby wanker or someone not interested in cars is a bit of a stretch.

Offline STi Nut

The reason i bought my Custom plates is so i was different to all the other people who have the same car, i didn't want to be another black yaris owner and blend into the crowd. Thats why i got a custom plate and but a stripe on my car.

Oh and there is a Honda Accord Euro down the road from me that has the plate [A] on it.... how much is a single letter plate going for?

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Oh and there is a Honda Accord Euro down the road from me that has the plate [A] on it.... how much is a single letter plate going for?

I don't know how much they're going for, but last I checked probably a year ago there's a guy with a bunch of single letter plates asking $20k.

Offline STi Nut

20K....... hmm... i have seen that plate on that car for almost 2 years now..... thats almost the value of a 2 yr old accord :P

Offline app

It's more than that, a lot of it intangible - or at least inexplicable to someone who doesn't "get it".

Dunno where you keep getting this figger from - it's $190 here.

Steady on - no point carpet-bombing.  It's fun to make jokes about Audi owners being homosexual and convertible owners being hairdressers and BMW owners being shallow insecure yuppies etc etc :D but it's another thing to seriously do the brush tarring thingo.  I know a few people with more than they technically need, but the vitriol against people who embrace capitalism should probably be left to the comments sections of news.com.au articles - we're all here because we want or have more than is mediocre in life.  One of the guys from the recent Lambo run owns dozens of heritage plates - to imagine someone like him a snobby wanker or someone not interested in cars is a bit of a stretch.

Sorry for some reason I thought it was $300 a year, I knew it was $190 but got it mixed.

I know what you mean about historic, there is something intangible about them that makes it special. However, Ash would you be saying the same thing if there weren't a limited number available? I know that I really wanted one back before they started auctioning them so I know it's not to do with the fact there's few of them.

I removed the stuff about rich people etc. I know who you are referring to when you mention the Lambo owner but Ash he's not just someone who can afford it, he's buying them because he likes cars and likes them and  if I remember correctly, so that he could match them with the phone numbers in his family. So I wasn't referring to some of the car lovers who can afford them and genuinely love them. Sorry to have offended people if they saw it and got offended.

The reason i bought my Custom plates is so i was different to all the other people who have the same car, i didn't want to be another black yaris owner and blend into the crowd. Thats why i got a custom plate and but a stripe on my car.

STi Nut, I agree with you, I want to have a number plate different to other number plates and think $190 a year is definately worth it for this. Does your custom plate have a meaning in it? I'm not asking you to say it out over the net but does it have any relation to your name or anything, just out of curiosity. The one I would like would have some meaning to me.

There are two single digit plates I have seen on the net, you'll find it in a Google search if you search something like "Number plates for sale SA" but don't fee like doing it. Anyway there is this one guy selling the letter "C" and the letter "P" each for $50,000. The C one is on a Toyota Hilux. He has had them on the net for a very long time.